Flasher units

UKPlymouth

My car (48 sedan export) has a manual, non cancelling switch to operate the direction indicators. The switch has a lamp to act as a visual prompt.

The actual flasher unit (a 3 pin Bosch) stopped operating so I bought a replacement 3 pin unit of the same wattage. Problem is the new unit flashes much too fast and doesn't 'click' at all.

I've tested the switch for operation (not for resistance or anything else) but don't know how to, or if it is possible to, test the flasher unit.

I still have hair at the moment but the tearing is going to start soon!

A while back, I bought two 6 volt flashers from a parts dealer. One worked better with my car than the other. You would think they would be equal, but these were not. Might try another one, if the parts store will trade you. Don't know how to tell the difference by any other method. Except you might see if you can find a different BRAND of flasher unit. Guess I should have bought several of those when I was there. My wife says my flasher makes a sound, but I can't hear it......getting deaf I guess.

Check the lamp units for good grounds and clean and tight connections. If you have a bulb that is mising or burnt out, you will get the same type of symptom. These circuits seem to be really sensitive to changes and or differences in resistance in the circuit. I would bet if you clean everything up, and make the grounds all good, your problem will likely right itself.

I personally think that is a step back in safety. The NEW flashers dont click. Hope you have an old bone yard to go see if you can find an old car flasher, lots of those around here anyway, used roll down the window, stick arm out. These days the younger drivers wouldnt have a clue what you were signalling. They would think you were pointing at the birds. Or checking the weather. My understanding is its still legal tho. Thats how I will make it around town if I get mine running this summer.

Try mounting your flasher to a solid part of your dash and use it as a sound board..should increase its audio. Flashers are load sensitive..not all the bimetal strips are the same but really should be close...you may be able to take your old one apart and tweak the curve in the metal and alter the rate of flash..what you got to lose???????

I have stripped the old unit down and the actual arm that contacts the points for the lamp on the switch is broken. I did try holding the flasher against different parts of the dash to try and increase the sound but I don't think I would hear it when driving. All the lamps flash albeit very fast. I think this may be a resistance issue. I will check all earth's and post if I find anything definitive. Once again thanks.