230 problems

michael.warshaw

i call vpw and try to order the 230 flywheel, and the salesman a very nice guy says that he should know the numbers off my crankshaft, so i call the engine builder and i tell him and he says i have a odd ball crank shaft.

he says i should buy a new one from him because i have the crank shaft where you have to press on the connectors, to the stud,(i guess because its difficult to tighten them with a wrench from the backside)

the connectors are differnt than normal because, its a different style.

he said those parts are unavailable, so i need a new crank he said.

the way the crank connects to the flywheel, is differnt than normal

first question is he right? do i really need a new crank shaft?

and is mine differnet than normal.

then he said that the od tranny would not fit the 218 bellhousing, is he right?

Edited by michael.warshaw

It's really a shame that you didn't hook up with someone who is familiar with our flatheads.

Yes, the 230 flywheel bolts are a little different, but they are available.

Incidentally, I would love to find out what kind of 230 crankshaft your mechanic could supply that wouldn't need these bolts.

As far as the bellhousing "issue", my first statement applies. I started with a 218/std 3 speed, then put a 230 in place of the 218, then changed to an overdrive transmission. All three combination's used the bellhousing that came with the 218.

Marty

Difficult as in incovenient, or difficult as its easier if I use one I can sell you.

My fly wheel fastened with nuts facing the space between the flywheel and the engine.

Was it more difficult than installing the other style? Yes. But it's on with hand tools in the garage by an ameture, and has gone 8000 miles with no problems. All 6 of them had to be addressed alternating skipping one, while accessing them by manually advancing the engine, to rotate to the next one I went through the drill about 4 times till there were all sufficiently tightened.

I think what VPW was trying to tell you is that the 230 crank/flywheel combo uses special bolts that have a round head with a flat side that fits against the ridge in the face of the flywheel to keep from turning when you tighten the nut.

The bolts for the 230 crank/flywheel go in from the clutch side, the nuts go on the engine side. The 218 combo is opposite, and can use regular bolts.

Get the 230 flywheel, and the 230 bolts, and everything should be good to go.

Pete

hey pete i have the bolts from vpw that look like a d, but my 230 crank does not have the ridge on the side, so i need bolts that fit my 230 anyone got them?

The bolt heads sit against the face of the flywheel, and have nothing to do with the crank flange... as I said in my last post, they go in from the clutch side, opposite of the 218 combo. The 230 flywheel has a machined groove that the flat of the bolt head sits against.

You need to do a parts mock-up, and see for yourself how everything fits.

Pete

since i have to buy a 230 flywheel, i want to get a nos from either vpw or west end military, is the flywheel they want to sell me the same one or is it different then waht i need, since they are selling truck parts i dont want to get hte wrong 230 flywheel?

Edited by michael.warshaw

Be cautious about the overall diameter of the truck flywheel that VPW has to offer. Some of the big trucks have a flywheel that is 1" larger diameter and will not work for you.

Verify what they have.

My experience with VPW is that they have seen every combination and variation on these engines, and if you simply let them know that you want a 230 flywheel for a car application, they will set you up. But you have to communicate your project or you might wind up with something for a 2 ton powerwagon.

Pete

Mikey, the best way to make sure you get it right, is to buy several differnt styles and then see what works. As far as the bolts are concerned any kind of bolt will work (just go to Lowes), as long as you get at least two of them to thread, it will hold. If the flywheel is too big, just cut the bell housing. Boom, done, finished! Like a friend of mine once said "If you are going to own an old car, you got to learn how to mechanic it your self" and "the more shade tree you are, the easier things go together" and finally "those are extra parts, you don't need them"

...As far as the bolts are concerned any kind of bolt will work (just go to Lowes), as long as you get at least two of them to thread, it will hold...

Regular bolts won't work on the 230 flywheel face, as there is a ridge machined into the flywheel that the "D" shaped bolt heads sit against. A regular bolt head will not seat flat against the face of the flywheel. I tried to install mine with the bolts in from the engine side (like the 218 setup) and put washers under the nuts hoping it would be ok. When I tightened the bolts, they started to bend because the edge of the washer was sitting on the step in the face of the flywheel. In order to get the bolts out, I had to pull my oil pan and rear main bearing cap because the bolts won't go in or out from the engine side otherwise. A total PIA... Bought new bolts and put them in from the clutch side and everything fit like a glove.

I suppose you could use a standard bolt if you ground the edge of the bolt head off, to mimic the factory "D" shaped bolt heads.

Pete

... Like a friend of mine once said "If you are going to own an old car, you got to learn how to mechanic it your self" ...

I whole heartedly agree with this statement... in the process of building my car, I have done just about everything twice, if not three times. I don't think there is a "perfect assembly" of an old car, because there were so many variants of the parts, lots of shade tree owners have likely already had a hand in "upkeep", etc. The only way to do it in my judgment, is to get the whole mess of parts collected, and then start trying to put it together yourself. When something doesn't fit, take a bunch of photos and post them here for the resident experts to comment. Repeat. Eventually you wind up with something to be proud of, and you become the expert. I had never seen the guts of a flathead six engine and transmission before I bought my car. It's been about 8 years since I put it back on the road, but I remember it like it all happened last week. Maybe it was the repetition... :D

Pete

Yes they will work, they only hit for a while until some metal is gound off or somthing more important breaks. Then you get to spend more money foolishly

:D This is how I usually put stuff together... Third time has been the charm...

Pete

Thats what I am talking about, if you do it right the first time, the project is over in no time and then you have to buy another car. If you rig it up, it takes more time, costs more money and then when people see what you did they just shake their head and walk away muttering "what a moron"