Window Chanel and sealant

Lou Earle

I am installing new window Chanel on my Phantom car- no one has seen it yet - an might not - and discovered something. It is a lot easier to install that stuff using black silicone sealant that the clips.

I put the Chanel in dry- no adhesive then cranked up the windows and got the Chanel right with the curves. Then rolled window down and pulled the Chanel out some and put silicone sealant on the Chanel and re installed it and rolled windows up and left it overnight. they are in tight as a tick and seem fine. Do not come out of place and the glass runs very smooth.

Lou

Lou,

I've always maintained that silicone is almost as important as duct tape, and you've just shown another use for it. When I paint my '48 P-15 I'll install my new channel same way. Thanks for the tip.

-Randy

(BTW, clear silicone has been shown to be the strongest. Was there any reason you used black other than that's what you had on hand?)

Lou-

I'm at that point now, myself. Picking the car up from the paint shop tomorrow. What kind of silicone sealant did you use (brand)? Also, how did you prep the surface where the chanels stick to? Any tricks about how to install the fuzzy strips at the bottom of the window passage so that it touches both sides of the glass when the window is rolled up? I have the chanels and fuzzy strips purchased already. Just have to cut them to match the old ones I took out

If it's got a solid surface and can get tooth, silicone will stick to almost anything. It makes a great filler for some things but when using it as an adhesive less is more because you don't want any wiggle room to build torsional stress. If the inside of the frame needs painting, do it before the silicone and then apply a small bead along the inside perimeter. Wet your finger with water (this does nothing for the silicone but helps keep it from sticking to your finger) and make a thin wide trace of the stuff then use Lou's method of holding it in place with the window. Give it until tomorrow to dry with the window up and if that doesn't quite do it clean the existing silicone with a quick wipe of alcohol to remove any dust and repeat the application step. I've rarely needed to do this twice but if it takes a third thin application with your window be relaxed in the fact that you'll not only have a quality job but you will also never be called to apply silicone on any production line.

Kind of kidding, but the end results will be fine. My Lady Wife calls me a perfectionist and I honestly take that as an insult from anybody other than she. There is a fine line between pain and pleasure and that same line squats itself between perfection and "getting 'er done", and perfection is something we can only afford to do with a hobby. Suit yourself and have fun and don't worry about how long it takes doing it because you're the one writing the checks and it will damned-well be done the way you want it to be done when you get it done, and there ain't no stopwatch on my ass the last time I looked.

(Pant pant. Rant rant.)

-Randy

If it's got a solid surface and can get tooth, silicone will stick to almost anything. It makes a great filler for some things but when using it as an adhesive less is more because you don't want any wiggle room to build torsional stress. If the inside of the frame needs painting, do it before the silicone and then apply a small bead along the inside perimeter. Wet your finger with water (this does nothing for the silicone but helps keep it from sticking to your finger) and make a thin wide trace of the stuff then use Lou's method of holding it in place with the window. Give it until tomorrow to dry with the window up and if that doesn't quite do it clean the existing silicone with a quick wipe of alcohol to remove any dust and repeat the application step. I've rarely needed to do this twice but if it takes a third thin application with your window be relaxed in the fact that you'll not only have a quality job but you will also never be called to apply silicone on any production line.

Kind of kidding, but the end results will be fine. My Lady Wife calls me a perfectionist and I honestly take that as an insult from anybody other than she. There is a fine line between pain and pleasure and that same line squats itself between perfection and "getting 'er done", and perfection is something we can only afford to do with a hobby. Suit yourself and have fun and don't worry about how long it takes doing it because you're the one writing the checks and it will damned-well be done the way you want it to be done when you get it done, and there ain't no stopwatch on my ass the last time I looked.

(Pant pant. Rant rant.)

-Randy

Thanks, Randy. I made a copy of your instructions to use when I'm ready to install the window chanels. Also, what is a good brand of silicone to buy?

Don't use silicone. Why ? The curing agent is acetic acid and the corrosion is going to fester in those hidden places. I found this out some years ago replacing

acrylic airplane windows that someone had sealed with silicone. Use air curing polyurethane with much better results.

Hey, Alphabet from Adelaide,

Thanks for your words; I'm always up for a better process and better materials. I've never had a problem with silicone but maybe that's because I've never noticed any problems I've had.

When you say polyurathane do you mean the sort we poured onto WWII Liberty Ship hold doors in the '60's to make tacky coffee tables or is there a sort that can be extruded?

(If the nickname offends you I'll gladly apologize, but it kinda makes sense.)

-Randy

I was also going to suggest using urethane. About five years ago I installed one piece side windows in my VW bug. I put the channels in place and rolled the windows up tight and left them alone for a few days and then removed them and they held their shape. I then put a few dabs of weatherstrip glue in a few places and re-installed them. They have been holding up good.