Two Tone Paint

old rat 49

I believe the 40 were pretty much monocolored. In 50 or 51 the Belvedere 2dr Hard top got a two tone deal. I have seen a couple 39 and 40 4 doors that were two toned but I don't think they were factory. Take a look on the oldcarmanual site and see what you can find in the factory brochures posted there.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php

Don't know if it's the colour choice, the design, or poorly thought out rods but those are three unattactive cars, to me at least. Fourth picture was added later is OK but I still don't think a two tone paint job really suits these cars.

Edited by RobertKB
Comment on fourth picture

old rat 49,

Greg was correct when he said there were no factory two-tone P-15s, but I'm going to do my '48 more-door two-tone because I like the concept. I've mulled over several color combinations and haven't decided yet which ones I'll use but it's my car so it's my choice.

One other factor in my decision to do two-tone is that I also have a '67 VW Bug I've recently put back on the road and if VW had ever made a four-door Bug it would have had, other than the hood lines, the same silhouette as the P-15, including the trim line, so since the Bug needs paint too I'm going to make them a matched set. Won't Momma be proud to see them both in front of the house!

-Randy

chrysler certainly did two tones in 40/41 and briefly in 42 ,roof and pillars different to body ,looks really nice in my opinion,i have a brochure showing this which is probably on the internet somewhere ,sadly i have no scanner!

old rat,

The 41 two tone would have looked something like this. The hood and trunk lid would have been the darker color but the rest is the correct factory pattern. I chose to be a little different since nobody around home knows the difference.

AnthonyB

post-24-13585354804365_thumb.jpg

post-24-1358535480475_thumb.jpg

The red and cream car is my dads car. The pictures are from my wedding. Part of the drip rails on the back were shaved to make a cleaner transition. I added one more pic to try and show the height of the rail.

John - Thanks for putting your hand up for the car! I love it!! Hope you didn't mind me sharing those photos of it (or the wedding which was obviously incidental to the car......:D)

In the Reference section of this site there is a color chart for Plymouth showing two-tone color combinations. I have never seen a stock two-tone that I am aware of but the color chart seem to suggest that the option was available.

old rat: Take the car view (s) you like, print them out, tape them to a window and trace them. Then make all the copies you want. I do that a lot works well. Love a great looking four door.

chrysler certainly did two tones in 40/41 and briefly in 42 ,roof and pillars different to body ,looks really nice in my opinion,i have a brochure showing this which is probably on the internet somewhere ,sadly i have no scanner!

Here's a 2 tone D22 from a sales brochure for 1942 and also color charts for 2 tone options for Dodge anyway.

JLo2toned.jpg

Paint chips for 42

42dodgepaintchips.jpg

Well, in my opinion, not that it matters, but if the car wasn't originally meant to be two-toned, don't force it because then it tends to look that way. Don't get me wrong...I like a two tone paint job, and I wish our P15s were made to have had one, but unfortunatly 1946-48 P15s don't have the natural chrome trim to allow it to look factory. Now, if you are doing a custom anything goes, but that's in a whole different class all by itself. Chevrolet, Pontiac and Oldsmobile had some nice, two tone combo paint jobs in the late 40's. Just my two cents.

post-155-13585354823132_thumb.jpg

post-155-13585354823312_thumb.jpg

post-155-13585354823522_thumb.jpg