Front end re-assembly question.

PatS....

There is a special tool shown in the manual for assembly of the upper control arm (Tool C-608)

I'm wondering what the purpose of that tool is?

Is it to keep the arms the proper distance apart?

The manual isn't real clear to me as to it's function and I doubt the tool is available.

Is there a general use tool that performs the same function?

Do I even need it?

Same question for the lower control arm tool C-594

Looking at the tool (C-736) for installing the dust seals on the upper control arm, I should be able to modify a putty knife to do the job there?

Anyone have any hints as to re-assembling the front suspension? My parts are scheduled to be here Wednesday and I'd like to get Walter P back on his wheels ASAP

Guest Gerhard Tieseler

Hi Pat, I hope this can help you.

The C-594 and C-608 tools I believe are used to center the pivot shafts in relation to the control arms to facilitate easy bushing installation and prevent binding during or after assembly. I was reading in a very old Motor's manual and it had a section written like this:

1 Check the distance between the ends of the control arm and be sure it is within .020" of spec. (I found a section in the D24 manual suspension chapter that covers that)

2 Install a rubber seal over each end of the pivot shaft and insert one end into the control arm and "force" the other end of the shaft into the other end of the arm.

3 Fasten the arm securely in a vise close to one bushing end to avoid bending or distortion.

4 Lube up your bushings.

5 Start one bushing onto the shaft and into the arm at the same time.

6 Turn the bushing all the way down until snug then torque it to spec.

7 Center the shaft between the ends of the arm and install the second bushing in the same manner, turning the shaft as required to thread into the bushing so that no binding exists.

8 Turn the shaft until the bolt holes on the shaft are equal distances from the ends of the control arm, and in proper position to be installed.

9 Install control arm.

That's all there is to it I guess. I had to read it a couple of times to make sense of it. It looks like the secret is to center the shaft without any binding. I'd also have to say the old putty knife special tool would probably be perfect to install the dust seals. And make sure there are no burrs anywhere near the shafts, seals, or bushings.

Hope it helps

Gerhard