another little wiper question

Cpt.Fred

hi all,

i haven't been online too much lately, but i have been working on the car

and now finally it looks like i get to be street legal in the next couple of days.

nearly everything is done, but still the wipers keep me worried.

i replaced the rubber hose and got them to move a little, but they still don't really work.

i have been using the search engine for the last 1 1/2 hours and i found great info that should help me, but one tiny question remains:

i read that some of you managed to spray a little oil or other lubricant into the wiper motor housing in order to refresh the seals and lubricate the pivot,

but i can't see how you did that without removing everything from under the dash. when i lie under there i cannot really see how i could disconnect the linkage or if there is a special opening in there, there must be this breather i read about in one of the posts?

it would be great if someone here could describe to me how to lubricate or, if necessary, disassemble everything, the easiest way.

thanks!

frederic

a few days ago:

20100504171725003_fqeqqqlyjk.jpg

thanks!

i'll go for the first sugestion right now, since i have a date with the authorities today... gee, i'm nervous:rolleyes:

i found that last thread already, but i couldn't really figure out how to remove

the motor and disconnect the linkage. let's see... i'll get it somehow.

once i'm streetlegal, i'll have a nice photosession and post them on nhere.

thanks for your help, guys!

best,

frederic

• 3 years later...

Great looking P10!!. Disconnect the vaccum line at the engine and put that submerse into some light oil, then move the wiper arms by hand to draw the oil into the wiper. Hope this helps.

A teaspoon of ATF will sometimes help on these old Tricos.

:D

I read neatsfoot oil was good.  Neatsfoot is used to soften and condition leather shoes and boots.

I think there is a leather item inside that wiper motor..........but have never taken one apart.  You can

sometimes find it at the supermarket in shoe care section, or a place where shoes are sold.   

I read neatsfoot oil was good.  Neatsfoot is used to soften and condition leather shoes and boots.

I think there is a leather item inside that wiper motor..........but have never taken one apart.  You can

sometimes find it at the supermarket in shoe care section, or a place where shoes are sold.   

I think some might be leather, but the paddle inside my wiper motor was something that looked like early nylon and so did replacement part in the Korean War vintage repair kit I used to improve the function.

Trico instructions indicate you should remove the vacuum hose from the wiper motor and attach a short piece of tubing with the end in a can of oil. Work the blade back and forth to suck the oil into the motor. The reason for attaching a separate piece of tubing is because the oil will damage the rubber and you'd rather damage a sacrificial piece than the hose in the car.