Never seen this option?

aero3113

I remember when guys had those for sale new at the swap meets along with cases of Marvel Mystery Oil with "special" show pricing. This was in the days when leaded gasoline was being phased out all over due to lack of demand. It really doesn't seem all that long ago, but I guess it was.

Had it not been raining on "Earth Day" (also Lenin's birthday), I had planned on driving my P15. A unit like that set on high flow would have been perfect. I drove my old gas guzzling Jeep instead.

I've had the car for 5 years (was my dad's) and can probally account for 5,000 of the 450,000+ miles on it. I doubt if I've added little more than a quart, if that.

So this engine with this magic oiler has 450,000 miles on it without a rebuild????

...I have an oiler mounted on the firewall of my 48 Dodge.Probably it was installed by the original owner.It was still connected to the intake manifold when I bought the car.The reservoir was empty and the unit was covered in grime.It had a Redex tag on the mounting bracket.I disconnected it,cleaned it up and left it in place.I stuck the Pennzoil sticker on it.:)

post-423-13585354640096_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

My dad bought it off his brother in '57. Three years ago I drove it to my uncles 82nd birthday party/family reunion in Bend Ore. Was the first time he'd seen it in years. He told me my dad couldn't wear it out, but I probally will.

Very nice looking car, David...Great to have kept it in the family.

Thought I'd add a pic of my uncle and me 3 yrs ago at his birthday party in Bend Ore. I'm thinking I need to make that trip again within a few weeks, and maybe do the northern coast of cal (Albion) to visit my mom's cousin who is 84. The '36 will do 70 all day, but I keep it at 65

post-262-13585354645937_thumb.jpg

Marvel I believe still sells them- says so on a 10 0r 15 yo can I have. Alas I could not find them for sale on net Many police cars taxi's etc used them as top oilers in the 50's and 60's. I actually talked to a taxi co in NJ it the 80's that was still using them and swore by them. They claimed it really reduced their engine maintenance costs-nearly eliminated doing valve jobs- and ring jobs were reduced a lot.

I also know a man in Hazlehurst ga who adds a qt. of oil to every tank of gas in his chevy van- it has 400+ thousand on the engine and still going- no wrench on motor at all burns qt oil now about every 1500 miles.

I really do not think it is snake oil or voodo- to much favorable experience-

Here is marvel home page- do not think they sell th oilers anymore.

I do run oil in my 60 desoto gas- I am hoping it will delay or avoid a valve job in my 383

Lou

update

I just found another company that makes an inverse oiler- and it still has adaptor plates for sale! Think I will get acouple and install on DEsoto and my 49 plym daily driver

here is site

http://www.ampcolubes.com/index.php?content=products

Edited by Lou Earle
update

My dad bought it off his brother in '57. Three years ago I drove it to my uncles 82nd birthday party/family reunion in Bend Ore. Was the first time he'd seen it in years. He told me my dad couldn't wear it out, but I probally will.

David, You have a beautiful, rare car here:). Does it have a rear mounted spare tire or is the spare located behind the passenger seat? Those engine oilers were used by many car owners years ago. On my two Plymouth Furys, I add the Marvel Oil into the fuel tank.

John R

Thanks for all the compliments on the car. It's a C7 business coupe, the cheapest '36 Chrysler made. I believe the production run was 3,700. I feel very fortunate to have it. The spare tire was orginally behind the passenger seat, now in the trunk. It's running P21575R15's on 6" wide chrysler wheels.

post-262-1358535465299_thumb.jpg

I put 8 oz. ATF in the fuel tank every time I fill up, and alternate between tetraethyl lead and lead substitute. I also use ZDDP in the oil.

Any one thinking that I was knocking top cylinder oilers is mistaken. I just remember when there was a spike in their interest among old car owners in the mid-80s when the last 88 octane leaded gasoline pumps were getting replaced with 90 octane E-10 pumps or 92 octane premium unleaded.