Gas Cap

Plymouthy Adams

Here is a picture of my WWII locking gas cap! Just had to have it and bought it through e-bay. Not many people notice it but when they do they really take an interest in it. I love just having those extras and added on my old car. Jon

PS Goes along with all the painted trim!

GasCap.jpg

Niel,

Your rubber inner tube should work fine to make a gasket out of. I keep a couple of old ones around just for that purpose.

As for gas caps, I like the painted ones myself to match the car. That said, I have three gas caps and none are the color of the car.:rolleyes: The one that came on the car was painted black. Brother in law gave me a cheap chrome one, then I bought a NOS chrome locking cap at a swap meet. Right now, I have the locking cap on the car. I like the idea of a locking cap. Not so much because I'm worried someone will steal the gas, but some kid taking it off as a collectible. Have been thinking about roughing up the chrome cap and painting it to match the car when I have the car painted.

Tim, I found that these will fit on my dodge as well as my chevy truck. I took the stainless one off my project dodge and have used it on the last dodge I purchased since it was painted. Also, the truck has a chewed up end where the funnel is with a locking gas cap that was'nt meant for it ( reason it's chewed up) and I'm going to have to purchase a new funnel for the truck along with a cap. The cap that comes with a new funnel looks like a lawn mower cap etc.. with the finger and thumb tabs to turn it and that just aint gonna happen on my car or truck. The old one off my dodge was painted but really prefer the stainless caps plus it was also worn out.

The rusted cap in your picture of the two is the style I like because of the ridges on the edge for a good grip and it looks more stock. I know chrome dont get ya home (actually stainless) but I'd like to add as much to my car as possible witout over kill. I have a set of very nice stainless fender shields for the rear I've been holding on to for a very long time I plan to use but much more to worry about than those for now.

Yesterday I finally got my car back in the garage and hope to soon have it running again with the heli coil in place. It doesnt take long to remember just how heavy these cars are when moving them around on gravel as well as over a 1" lip of concrete. I guess when the wife or kids find me layed out on the ground with my fingers hanging to the bumper they'll finally get the idea a guy could use some help around here,lol!

Ed... I will look about..I may have kept the filler for the old 49 I parted out..if so, the tube filler where the cap mounts can be taken off one car and placed on another..in the case of the Dodge..they are two piece units anyway...now that I have new seals..I will bead blast the rusted one and finish it with cold galvanize...that will put me back in business.

Tim, that would be great if you find it! I know how the Dodge is in pieces as well as the chevy but are you saying the very end can be unscrewed or popped off the end? If I were able to remove the end of the chevy filler tube I could bend the working lip back out and possibly make it work but as it stands you cant reach that part through the neck and it's all bent back and flipped under the edge, basically mangled.

What is cold galavanizing? I think the "cold" part means not dipped or whatever process is involved but what do you have or find to galvanize an item? I've been looking for a method to keep metal from rusting after it has been wire brushed or blasted without having to paint it. Items like carberater, linkage...things of that nature that really needs to be left with it's metalic finish. Thanks, Ed