15's vs 16's which is better, please advise

michael.warshaw

If your building a correct car you might want to put what it came with back on it. If you have a lower than desireable gear and it's got 15's on it you could put 16's and it would help but may throw the speedo off a little. Otherwise they're both round.:)

It is also an interesting question coming for someone who is looking for a head with the correct date code. If you are that much in to "matching" details then having the stock wheels would be a no-brainer.

I guess I don't "grok" what you are trying to achieve with your car.

It is also an interesting question coming for someone who is looking for a head with the correct date code. If you are that much in to "matching" details then having the stock wheels would be a no-brainer.

I guess I don't "grok" what you are trying to achieve with your car.

Tod;

Think you just invented a new word and I like it:cool: Is it a noun or a verb?

". . . I don't "grok" what you are trying to achieve with your car." Word usage determines its grammaticality. As used it is a verb, it replaces such words as know, understand, which are indirect verbs.

Regarding the tires, thinner tires turn easier, go through mud and snow easier, but in my opinion wider tires are a bit more 'modern' looking. With the new radials now available, I'm keeping my stock wheels, hubs etc.

my car came with 16" wheels, but i was told the 15's are better for driving b.c the 16's are skinny and the 15's drive better, since they are not as tall, and maybe wider?

What size tires are mounted on the 15" and 16" rims? Both size rims can accept tires with the same end result size. I fail to see a difference based on rim size???? Did you ask this historian why 15's are better?

". . . I don't "grok" what you are trying to achieve with your car." Word usage determines its grammaticality. As used it is a verb, it replaces such words as know, understand, which are indirect verbs.

Thanks! I should have paid more attention to grammer in school.:eek:

Michael, if you want your car as authentic as you can, stay with the 16" as that is what it came with. Between a 600-16 and a 670-15 I doubt there is a really noticeable difference in tire diameter as the 15's will have a wider sidewall. You can order either from companies like Coker and can get them in radial if you like. I believe your are putting an overdrive in your car so it would appear that you are more concerned with "driveability" as opposed to total "authenticity". If that is the question, 15" are probably a bit easier to come by and may be a bit wider. If you are looking for a good set of 15" rims, I have a good set on this car. Not trying to make a sale, just putting it out there. They will not be available until later in the spring when I am going to move the car before finishing the parting out.

DSCN5136.jpg

DSCN5141.jpg

And if you did understand, then you could groak:cool:

I have never groaked so I dont know what it feels like;)

Spelling, too. Grammar.:P Sorry, I am an old teacher of English. Actually, I was really a teacher of children. (old teacher joke)

Thanks for the spelling lesson. I will learn from it unless I forget:D As I am still a "children" I may need a reminder:rolleyes:

"the 16's are skinny and the 15's drive better,"

Both rims are 4 inches wide, pretty skinny. The correct wheel for a 46 is 16 in with 600 16 tires, in mid model year 47 Plymouth changed to 15 inch rims and fitted 6.70 15's. If you look them up in your tire diameter funk and wagnells, you will see that their section width is slightly different favoring the 15 but the tread width is nearly identical, as is the overall diameter. Driving feel is and has always been more a consequence of tire construction, material number of plies, sidewall stiffness, and tread design. Today unless you go to a specific calssic car tire supplier, you will not find much in 16 inch diameter passengeer tire, which will fit a 4 inch wide rim.

Those 255 45 16's just don't look right, and most 195 85 16's which might look period correct or close would be light truck tires and probably 8 ply. Might ride a bit stiff for a passenger car.

What I want to know is when the switch from 10 inch hubcaps to 9 inch hubcaps was done?

Edited by greg g

What I want to know is when the switch from 10 inch hubcaps to 9 inch hubcaps was done?

There was no switch. The little caps were trucks and deluxe vehicles and the big ones were special deluxe. Crazy to make 2 caps for a 1in difference but thats the way I've always heard it.