Cracked head and JB weld to the rescue

Lou Earle

On my 34 200 ci rebuilt 34 engine I discovered a crack running from the water neck down to the next to last head bolt on drivers side. the machine had tried to preen it shut but it was leaking and weeping.

used wire brush on drill to remove ALL paint old JB weld patch, removed water neck and went to work. got the head shinny clean a path about 1 inch wide with the crack in the middle. The took cutting wheel and cut the crack a bit deeper and wider.

Next I heated the head with a propane torch to just under red hot. Mixed up the JB weld and put it on with a nail and a few minutes spread it with finger- very fast!!! I could see where the JB was going into the groove I cut- there was a depression on top of the JB clearly indicating where it was going down the crack and groove I cut. When it got tacky grabbed a hand full of fine sand / dirt and sprinkled it on the patch. Left it alone for 36 hours. Brushed off the sand and have nice gritty - not slick - surface like the head. Ran it for 20 minutes and no weeping - by block or me - no leaks - I think I got it this time. I did this on a friends Model a engine 20 years ago - that patch was still holding after he died . Both the model A and the 34 are non pressurized so I think it Will hold for - what 25 years- I am 67 go figure- my son or someone else can do it again in 2035.

Lou

PS

If it does not hold Tim Will use brass rod and Braise that sucker!!

Hey Lou, that sounds like a great fix, I have a lot of respect for JB Weld, when used correctly, and under certain circumstances. This stuff isa very tough epoxy, I wounder if it would be good for repairing steering wheel cracks, maybe a tad slow to dry for that, not sure.........Fred PS when I go rumbling down the highway with my 47, I remember what you told me about these engines being brutes and meant for hard work, that eases my mind, when the sucker sounds loud

I used it to patch up a hole in a power steering pump that was in place when I fix a hole in the canister. A rebuilt power steering unit would have cost probably 100 dollars but for around three dollars and a stainless steel screw and washer it was fixed.

I tryed soldering my gas tank on my old 1968 Cub Cadet lawn mower 3 times with no luck. got the JB WELD out used it one time and its still holding. great stuff.

Does it work well on a gas tank? Will it stick to plastic, my daughters dirt bike gastank has a small hole. Too new to find a used tank, too expensive for a tight wad like myself to by a new one.

Lou,

I wish I'd read this post earlier but this information may help later if it starts to leak again:

When I was in the Navy I worked with high pressure systems and vacuum systems and with both they taught us to find the exact end of the crack and drill a hole in it. This will prevent the crack from growing any larger.

-Randy