San Francisco and parking brakes

greg g

Guess you really needed properly working parking brake to park on the streets of the city.

Looks like the P 15 has followed recommended procedur and turned its front wheels into the curb to help in the job. Take a look at the brown car on the uphill side of the street,partially obscures by the "Slippery" sign, might it be a Tucker??? Or a 41 Caddy Sedanette?

b44.jpg

There are a bunch of streets in San Francisco with signs reading "curb your wheels". I have avoided those when taking my 1933 Plymouth in to "the City". In addition to setting the hand brake and curbing the front wheels it is a good idea to leave the car in low gear.

Interesting to note the lack of riders on the cable car in those pre "only the tourists ride the cable cars" days. (Actually not quite true. The California line does, I think, serve more locals than tourists. But the two lines Powell lines are basically tourist only, way too long a wait to get on the cars. You can practically walk the length of the route in the amount of time you'd wait to get on.)

I am suprised Studebakers with the hill holder feature weren't more popular there.

See lots of MOPARS and Ford and Chevy, and even some Nash and Hudsons, before you notice a Studie in this old pictures.

A lot of these are being posted on the HAMB so I can't really take credit for finding them.

Apparently UCLA has an online searchable digitalized photo archive where these Cali pics are coming from.

Be careful like the other archives its kinda like a black hole for time.

http://unitproj.library.ucla.edu/dlib/lat/subject.cfm