New Toy In The Box

John Burke

I said I was'nt buying anymore cars. But just for the education value I went and looked at a buddy's 49 Wayfarer....It does have surface rust but it is the staightest, most rust free car I have seen since I don't know when. All of the trim is in the car, the headliner is complete with no tears or holes and the seats are solid and complete. It purrs like a kitten and the fluid drive works great and has brakes. He said he would throw in all new rubber for the windows etc.....$800.00..I don't know what MaMa gonna say when it shows up in the yard but we'll work on that...He is going to store it for a couple of months till I find some room for it...Some cheap seat covers, a black primer paint job and it'll be a great cruizer...John Burke

post-57-13585345115831_thumb.jpg

If worse comes to worse I think I can take it off your hands for that.

My view of the picture showed all the chrome and trim removed,,,for safety sake??? Or started to paint??

I would like to have an older one than I have now and a daily driver....priceless.

Have fun with her,,,both mama and the new find.

you are just LUCKY!!!!!!!- first a SUPER CHEAP DESOTO and now THIS?? how do yousleep at night-- Oh I see - with a garage full!!- hope that garage has a bed in it-- hee hee

The midwest is "Mopar Mecca"..I just wish I could find an affordable Edmunds head for this and my Hot Rod..I have to keep shifting cars around to keep them under cover...kinda like "kiting a check"..I should buy the engine he has ready to put into this car...A built-up 318, balanced, roller cam, 9:1 pistons, dual 4 barrels etc.....I'll wait till he's tired of it setting on his engine stand...John Burke

Great deal! My late father-in-law bought one of those Wayfarers new in '49. My mother-in-law worked at a Dodge dealership at the time so they got preferential treatment because new cars were in short supply. He once told me that they had a prop rod for the trunk, which was changed in 1950 to a counterbalanced lid. Must have been a nuisance to use with the rod.