OT my semi daily driver 90 Dodge Cummins, tranny problem

1just4don

I am posting this OT question here because it seems you guys are more friendly and knowledgable than any I found on the net!!!

I have a 90 Dodge Cummins (getrag) transmission (4 speed with overdrive)that was rebuilt recently. Gears anyway,,,now the 'top' part 'shifter part mechanism' is too loose and it pops out of the gear its in and you have to find the gear it was last in to get it back in 'place'. The forks are stripping over as it will. My guy that fixes such stuff for me told me today the top part of the tranny cost $700 and thats what I need(parts only). I also need a clutch,,,(His estimate3-400 bucks),,,and transfer case only drives front wheels in 4 wheel low,(his estimate was another 3-400 in there. HIS advice is I should buy a complete rebuild tranny at $1700 instead of the top part, then fix clutch and trans case. I thought I read somewhere I could buy a newer 6 speed and bolt in for not alot more and get rid of the 'getrag' tranny that has been rebuilt 3 times already,'perpetual problem'. Otherwise is there a 'cheaper', 'better' place to look for the top tranny part,,,THAT seems real expensive to ME!!! A 'stronger' bolt in repalacment for the getrag??

Thanks for any help!!--don--

The transmission I have NOW is a G360 commonly referred to as a 'getrag'. The transfer case is a 205. I understand a different bell housing will bolt up a NV 4500 trans(5 speed) which is what the 94 and up Dodges ran. It is 'possible' to convert it over to a NV 5600 which is the newest 6 speed version. A special kit costs alot to do that plus both driveshafts have to be shorted and lengthend 5 1/4 inch which isnt worth it for this truck.

I found a bell housing on the bay that would let me bolt the NV 4500 5 speed up to my truck,dont think I need any additional things for this,,,would this be correct?? AND does anybody know where to find a reasonable NV 4500 tranny,,,Problem with a rebuilt one is the core charge because I dont have one to exchange. Any OTHER places to look other than e-bay??? Thx,hope this helps,,-d-

Don,

Off hand I don't know where you can find a good tranny that you are looking for.

As for paying a core charge on a rebuilt tranny, there may be a way around that though. I became the owner of a rebuilt 350 engine, but no transmission to go along with it. While at a swap meet a few months later I ran across a guy selling a 350 turbo transmission including the torque converter for only $10. The guy claimed the transmission was good when taken out of the car. Now I don't know if I believe that or not. However, for $10 I had to buy it. Core charge on one of those is about $100 to $150 so I don't care if it's good or not. I still got my money's worth on it just for the core, or even scrap metal.

In light of that, maybe if you just got a real cheap one out of the bone yard working or not, you'd have your core. That is if you can get it cheap enough.