Finding brake shoes

FMSPEED49

the '49 D29, needs some new brakes shoes,

local place can reline em, but takes 2 weeks (I don't know why)

Bernbaum, you either pay high core charges, or send em in and wait for the new ones.

So it got me thinking, is there some other shoe that can be modified to fit? I have a hard time beliving that in this vast world of auto parts these shoes are that far out there.

Yup, need to look around more, most places i talked to just replace, and toss the old ones for trucks and for busses. but I am sure someone out here can do it.

I may look around the salvage yard and see if there is a way to update these to a more modern drum set up, I am aware of the disk conversion, yet I am a cheap skate, and I figure my average speed is 30 mph, so drums are just fine.

I figured that the disc conversion is about the same price as rebuilding the originals. Then, I can go to the local Mom and Pop parts store to get any part I need off the shelf.

I found with my first 49 Chrysler that the brakes were a constant never ending big pain in the butt.

I'm hoping 4 wheel discs will be less maintenance and more reliable.