Painting the Door Jambs on the 49 Dodge

John Burke

Since we were at that point, I decided to go ahead and paint the door jambs before any other paint goes on later this spring. It took about 1.5 hrs. per door to mask them off and about 20 min. to paint them all. The jambs were in great shape so all I had to do was wipe them down really good and lightly scuff them. The paint flowed on great and dried with a real nice gloss. If the rest of the body goes like this I will be one happy camper. The color is a dark grey smokey metalflake. It's just a single stage paint so it's ready to go after it dries.....no color sanding etc. In 5 years or so when it starts to get a little dull. I'll paint it again....a different color. I used a conventional spray gun here, not an HVLP...It seemed to atomize better for me..Oh yeah, the stange gold color on the one door frame is the reflection of some light bouncing off a box on the floor....John Burke

post-57-13585345113429_thumb.jpg

post-57-13585345113758_thumb.jpg

post-57-135853451141_thumb.jpg

Gents,

Seems to me I heard somewhere that the door jambs on old MoPars were a different color than the body. If that is true I'd like to find out which jamb colors were used for which body colors. If it isn't true I'll write it off as another case of the 60's being too good to me, but I'm getting to that stage on my '48 P15 so it's time to ask.

Thanks

-Randy

Gents,

Seems to me I heard somewhere that the door jambs on old MoPars were a different color than the body. If that is true I'd like to find out which jamb colors were used for which body colors. If it isn't true I'll write it off as another case of the 60's being too good to me, but I'm getting to that stage on my '48 P15 so it's time to ask.

Thanks

-Randy

The jambs on my car were body color too-

bodyprimed.JPG

Pete

Have never seen a different colored jamb as original paint. The only reason they would be different is someone repainted the car with the doors closed and did not re-do jambs. Which happens more often than you might think.

I believe they refer to this method as "quick & dirty".....or something like that.