6V to 12V conversion 1947 P15

dogfoose

Run a search on this, should be plenty of talk about it, and what works and what does not.

If you want to convert just for the occasional jump start, why not keep the 6 volt system, and make sure it is in good shape.

If I ever convert, it will be for better starting, the ability to have an alternator, and to run more acessories. The 12 volt battery, makes for quicker starts in hot weather. My 6 volt system does well, as I have new 2/0 bat cables, good battery and charging system, but a 12 volt would spin it faster on any occasion I am sure.......

Anyone have some information on converting my 6V positive ground to a 12V positive ground? It would just make it easier to jump when the occasion arises.

Thanks!

Is there a reason you want to go to a 12 volt positive ground system? Have you had a lot of trouble with starting your vehicle? Have you ever had the occasion to jump start your vehicle or are you simply making preperations for when you do have to jump start it? It will cost you more to convert your car to a 12 volt positive ground system than it will cost you to join AAA and have them tow you to where ever you are going.

If you want 12 volt, you can convert it to 12 volt neg ground and retain the stock appearence by using a '56 to '59 mopar generator and regulator for the L head 6.

I did this to my '38 dodge pu 27 years ago and it has proven itself. I used a gen and regulator for a '57 dodge (12 volt gens have a green colored tag instead of red), 12 volt internal resistor coil, change the wire that runs to the dizzy from the + post to the - post, and changed out all my lights and bulbs. Switch the wires on the amp gauge or it will read backwards, and a resistor on the gas gauge (I didn't and now have check my gas by putting a hose in the tank).

The belt pulleys are narrow on the 12 volt gens, but I used narrow pulleys on the waterpump and harmonic balencer. You may be able to put a wide pulley on a 12 volt gen to get around changing the crank and waterpump pulley.

You could also use an alternator as other members have.....maybe someone can give some info on that.....