powerflite

captden29

perhaps someone has some knowledge regarding why my powerflite on my 54 windsor will not go into passing gear. these are supposed to be simple units so maybe there is a simple fix. the unit shifts up/down well, no slipping and has clean fluid. any suggestions where to look would be appreciated. dennis

I've never had any experience with the Powerflight but I would check the linkage on it if it isn't shifting right.

In 1964 I blew the original engine in my 57 Ford. I then bought a used 390 Police Interceptor engine from a salvage yard with under 20,000 miles on it. I had a local shop install the engine for me at the time. After getting the car back the passing gear would lock on unless I let off the gas. Would not automatically shut off at any speed. When I took it back to check it out they said they didn't hook up the linkage right and offered to do it right. At that point though I didn't want it hooked up right. That car was a real sleeper after that. Don't think I ever lost a race in it after that.:D It was like the Ever Ready battery. Would just keep on going and going!!:D

So check the linkage first, that's the easiest. If that's not it, then you may have to go to electrical, or the inside of the transmission. Could also be just the switch.

norm, is there a switch that the linkage activates? is it outside the unit? my car will never win races but passing gear is nice to have. i have lived without it, but you know how we are-- we like everything working and will tinker forever to get our cars that way.idle speed is correct dennis

Dennis,

Like I mentioned, I'm not familiar with the Powerflite itself. However, I believe the switch is probably hanging on the side of the transmission someplace. Possibly like the overdrive unit switches. Just have to look around under there and under the hood to see if you can find a wire going to it. If you do, that's probably the switch. If it's never worked, the previous owner may have taken the wire off altogether too. So, if no wires, look around the transmission for a place where a wire should be connected. Switch could be round or rectangle.

There should be a mechanical linkage from the carburetor to the transmission that mechanically demands the downshift. If the linkage is misadjusted, the

Wide open throttle position may not be moving the linkage enough to move the tranny selector far enough to engage the kickdown.

No electrical kick-down voo-doo like Fluid-Drive semi-auto or OD systems...

Greg's right - there's a mechanical linkage between the accelerator and tranny that controls the shift-point/ kick-down. From what I recall, for both the P-flite and early T-flite, adjustment is a complicated proceedure involving pressure gauges and other stuff.

I would not disturb the present adjustment on the tranny rod ( if nobody's touched it since it left the factory, it may still be where it belongs); first, make sure that the accelerator pedal/ carb linkage is free to open all the way, and isn't being limited by floor mats or other obstructions.

There are no vacuum modulators on P or T-flites to control shift points/kick-down. It's all done inside the tranny.

As for my '55 De Soto with Powerflite, the tranny is designed not to kick-down at speeds above 55-60 MPH, to prevent over-speeding the engine. I am guessing that the P-flites that went out behind the long-stroke flatty sixes might have had this kick-down ceiling lowered to 45 or 50 MPH....

You might find an answer from the guys over at De Sotoland... there were quite a few '54 De Soto Powermasters that have the six & P-flite.

Good luck !

Frank McMullen

frank, i have heard that these will kick down at 60 mph, but even on cars i owned that worked i never tried that. i guess if it is a difficult procedure there are no shops around today that have the knowledge. i will check the linkage . dennis