OT Tuckers and Star Trek OT

eric wissing

Who designed the Star Trek Enterprise vessel? What is special about the design? Seems to me that in the vacuum of "space" aerodynamics would not be an issue as there is no atmospheric resistance for mobility. A square box would move as freely as a round ball or a bird’s wing. And as “man” is used to storing things in a square box there could be more cargo carried in a square vessel. And weight is not an issue as there is no gravity to create weight.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a true Treaky and have watched every episode countless times. The structure of management on the enterprise is a model for success. A “Captain” who is right most (but not all) of the time. A couple of “yes” men. Several people who offer opposing ideas. The staff includes engineering, communication, science, navigation, medicine, security (these folks are expendable) etc. I have learned a lot by watching Star Trek.

Who designed the Star Trek Enterprise vessel? What is special about the design? Seems to me that in the vacuum of "space" aerodynamics would not be an issue as there is no atmospheric resistance for mobility. A square box would move as freely as a round ball or a bird’s wing. And as “man” is used to storing things in a square box there could be more cargo carried in a square vessel. And weight is not an issue as there is no gravity to create weight.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a true Treaky and have watched every episode countless times. The structure of management on the enterprise is a model for success. A “Captain” who is right most (but not all) of the time. A couple of “yes” men. Several people who offer opposing ideas. The staff includes engineering, communication, science, navigation, medicine, security (these folks are expendable) etc. I have learned a lot by watching Star Trek.

Don have you made it to the next generation? The Borg have cube vessels.

Kind of like this forum....;)

Don have you made it to the next generation? The Borg have cube vessels.

You beat me too it....:D

The only reason to have aerodynamic design is if the ship has to be launched from, or re-enter, a planetary atmospheric condition. But as Don stated, if ships were built in space, and were to spend all their time in space then the design is irrelevant...to some degree at least.

Very neat pics and info...thanks for posting!!

The Enterprise and other Federation vehicles do have the ability to fly in the upper reaches of the atmosphere so some aerodynamic principles are necessary. However, for the most part, the American publick would be unable to comprehend flying ships that did not at least mimick traditional aeroplanes.

On a side note, Colonial Vipers can, and often, do enter atmospheres and then take-off and escape atmosphere so Adama and his warriors had to be adept at the principles of the maneuvering in atmosphere and the "vacuum" of space.