Road Trip Tools & Component Parts

I'd like to know your opinions about what components would be most likely to fail and be a good idea to carry a spare of. I once had a water pump go down.

Also has anyone figured out a "bare bones" under the seat toolbox. I have some idea but would like some different ones.

Thanks,

Hank

screwdrivers (big, little, std. & phillips)

pliers (slip joint & needle nose)

crescent wrenches (6" & 10")

baling wire (or coat hangers)

half-used roll of duct tape

starting fluid

a couple of shop rags

piece of 3/4" plywood (24" x 36")

gallon of H2O

a small collection of business cards from area wrecker services (stuff happens)

screwdrivers (big, little, std. & phillips)

pliers (slip joint & needle nose)

crescent wrenches (6" & 10")

baling wire (or coat hangers)

half-used roll of duct tape

starting fluid

a couple of shop rags

piece of 3/4" plywood (24" x 36")

gallon of H2O

a small collection of business cards from area wrecker services (stuff happens)

I would add a flashlight,knife and fire extinguisher but most often what ever you do not have you will need so maybe just a cell phone.

• Like 1

Here's mine,

AAA+ Card for towing.

Cell phone for calling AAA.

Buried in the back is a small box with:

Screwdriver

Pliers

Adjustable wrench

Spare light bulbs and fuses.

Bailing wire

And I've never had to get into the small box. The cell phone and AAA+ card has come in handy twice.

• Like 1

Lug wrench, jack, spare tire, and a folding chair, small table and bottle of Zinfandel to wait in comfort until the wrecker arrives. Don't forget the glasses

I also have a AAA card and my cell phone. But as a mechanic by trade and a tinkerer by nature I just don't feel right traveling without tools, just in case. My daily driver has plenty of tools since it is my work truck. I keep a tool kit in my motorcycle too that comes in handy when I'm at a motorcycle rally and want to install an accessory that I just purchased. So when it came time to start traveling in my Ol' Dodge I had to put together a tool kit for it too.

I have a set of wrenches (3/8" - 3/4"), a couple of screwdrivers ( - & + ), a couple different pliers, an 8" adjustable wrench (thinking of adding a 10"), and a set of 3/8" drive sockets with rachet. Those are in one small canvas tool bag, and in another is my spare fuel pump and a spare coil that I happen to have. I figured as long as I have these spare parts I might as well store them under the seat. If something happens and I need one of them while on the road I'd be kicking myself if they were sitting on the shelf in the garage.

I also keep a spare brake light switch since I was having problems with short life on the ones I was getting. That spare part came in handy at Mopars in the Park last summer when I noticed that Dennis' truck didn't have any brake lights. My spare switch fixed the problem.

Merle

you got great coverage on the tools, parts, set of points/condenser/plugs, couple spare plug wires of the longest needed. Water pump and fuel pump if you have space...fan belt a necessity, spare universal type radiator hose (cut to fit style) by pass hose if applicable, enough heater hose to by pass the heater should hose or heater spring a leak..electrical wire, tape and of course baling wire is hard to find so a couple light weight clothes hangers..

now if you never go outside your local area lots of this is not needed..this is long haul stuff you should have on hand..I did not mention a coil..good to have but available at any parts house, get external resistor type..it will get you home no prob..

I put the table, chairs, and bottle of wine at the top of the list, added an umbrella, a transistor radio and a pillow. Make certain the wine comes from California, keep it 'made in USA'.

With the tendancy of headgaskets to take a vacation with some regularity, carrying one of those isn't a bad idea. Points, condenser rotor and cap. travel with me. No body mentioned a roll of mechanics wire, but there is some in my travel box. And something to lay down on is a plus also.

This is an interesting thread, it's got me to thinking. My son has been working on his 52 Plymouth and dragging my tools back n forth. I think I'll make him up a box of necessities for him to work with. Maybe it'll save his shoe leather and I can find my tools when I need them.:rolleyes: