Painting?

Do I sand the final coat of primer befor putting color paint on? History is I took it to bare metal, pounded out dents, welded, saned and put first coat of primer on, then sanded and found minor flaws. I now have the final coat of primer on but dont know if I just paint over this or need to sand again. Thanks fo rthe help.

The "tech sheet" for the primer should give instructions. Most have a window (time frame) in which top coats can be applied successfully with the least failure percentages. I use epoxy primer exclusively, leaving it to harden until ready for color, then wet sand final time with 600 or 1000,depending on solid or metallic color, spray color and clear. Doesn't mean I'm doing it right, but it's been working well for me.

The window time is how long you can wait to top or base coat without having to scuff or sand the primer. If within the time a chemical bond is made so sanding is not needed. If you wait past this time, then buffing or sanding will be needed to create a physical bond. As stated, the tech sheet, or directions should tell you the duration of this windows.

If you're using a polyprimer, it can act as a sealer before the top coat. Otherwise wet sand the last coat of primer (don't burn through), wash all the primer sediment out, windex it (catches last bit of sediment, crud off the edges), wax and grease it (finger/hand grease etc.), tack rag it (rougue bugs and particles that fell off your work clothes while doing the prior tasks), shoot a sealer (its a barrier between the primer and helps color consistency) let it flash (if you don't you'll get solvent pop), color it (i like 3 coats), clear coat (2 coats cuz if its to thick it can get hazy). If your using a single stage...read the label carefully. The right tip and final coat application are important to the shine.

My favorite primer? PCL 901 (polyester, which means its "waterproof", doesn't breath) Which means I skip the sealer step. the last coat of the polyester is acting as one already.

48D

Donald,see all the sequence I did in this month ago in my tailgate.See the thread "BED LINER" from february,1st 2010 in its page 2.There is all the sequence pics I did like sand,bondo,primer first and second step,poliurethane emael paint.Good luck.