Old Plymouth and Covered Bridge

1940plymouth

I thought I would share this photo with all of you. Just couldn't resist making it look older.

You all will get darn tired of me posting photos of the coupe, I bet. but as everyone can tell, I sure do enjoy driving it and sharing photos,

Hope everyone is having as good a day as I am,

Bob:)

post-2100-13585353847305_thumb.jpg

You all will get darn tired of me posting photos of the coupe' date=' I bet. but as everyone can tell, I sure do enjoy driving it and sharing photos.[/quote']

I for one never get tired of looking at pictures like the one you posted. I wish I didn't have a 500 mile R/T drive to a get a photo of my Dodge with a covered bridge.

I use to be able to drive my car across this bridge until the late sixties when the state bought it and closed it to automobiles. I often think about trying to sneak one of my old cars down there to get a photo but I guess I should just ask the ranger to open the gate. It's a 251' single span covered bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport_Covered_Bridge

Bridgeport.jpg

I use to be able to drive my car across this bridge until the late sixties when the state bought it and closed it to automobiles. I often think about trying to sneak one of my old cars down there to get a photo but I guess I should just ask the ranger to open the gate. It's a 251' single span covered bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport_Covered_Bridge

Bridgeport.jpg

That is one of the nicest covered bridge pictures I have ever seen. Worth the effort to try to get a picture with one of your old cars!

I believe it had to do with the fact that they were made from wood. The roof helped to protect the wood structure from the elements thus extending the life of the bridge.

Merle

That is my understanding too.

That is one of the nicest covered bridge pictures I have ever seen. Worth the effort to try to get a picture with one of your old cars!

One of the old tours I was on in 2000 went by there. It is a very nice bridge. You can walk through it but barring some special arrangements with the powers that be I don't think you'd be able to get cars to it.

ft08.jpeg

There is another covered bridge not too far off the way I take to go skiing between Oakdale and Jamestown at Knight's Ferry that is apparently partly managed by the state park system and some other agency, maybe bureau of land management. State parks forbid cars. But apparently one old car club had an in with somebody at the other agency and got their cars down there. Park ranger wasn't too happy but there was not much he could do as they were all legit with the other agency.

There are two more covered bridges I know about in Northern California both in or near Felton. One is in a park area and closed. The other is on private land and I've been unable to get permission to lead a old car tour to it. It is reputedly the only covered bridge left in California that you can drive through.

Curious.......why did they build the bridge with a top?.......andyd

Protecting the bridge from the elements is only a secondary concern of the design, the upright beams and rafters provide the stuctural support for the entire bridge.

Notice the lack of below deck support, ie, uprights coming from the river bed or valley floor. By covering these elements, walls and roof beams the bridge is much stonger than an open air design thus creating a superior structure.

Where as you see metal girder spans composed of open air or lattice work designs because the metal does not require the extra support due to it's strength of material compared to wood.

Of course if the span is much longer than the covered bridge shown it will require uprights from below the deck to support its length regardless of the materials used.