What is your job? OT

Don Coatney

Architects, please explain the predelection for upward facing out door lighting. Why is it OK to obscure natural starlight in order to highlight some soffit details or shadow lines of an unoccupied building. I like a well designed and properly functional building as the next guy, but I like to stargaze also. Light pollution even in suburban areas negates that in much of the country.

Here we have an auto dealers mall that is visible at night for probably 20 miles away, when they are closed.

I am a Teamster Truck Driver for YRCW. (local) I have held positions of Steward, and now an Alternate. I am a president of a Unit in the WBCCI. I have certificates in Distribution and logistic Management, and Supply Chain Fundementals. I am finishing an Employment law course at BGSU this friday, and hope to add this to my credentials. I want out of trucking...

I'm a retired double dipper. Retired Deputy Sheriff (Medical, Broken Back) San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, Ca., retired Government Employee (25 Yrs) NTC & Fort Irwin, Ca.

Now I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?' I say, 'Well, I don't have much of a chemical background but one of the things I enjoy the most is turning beer into urine!'

Dennis:D:rolleyes:

Architects, please explain the predelection for upward facing out door lighting. Why is it OK to obscure natural starlight in order to highlight some soffit details or shadow lines of an unoccupied building. I like a well designed and properly functional building as the next guy, but I like to stargaze also. Light pollution even in suburban areas negates that in much of the country.

Here we have an auto dealers mall that is visible at night for probably 20 miles away, when they are closed.

its a ego thing... we like to show off. seriously, now days we are using led and low voltage lights to meet leed requirments. many places ATMS for example have extremly high footcandle requirments to help with the saftey

I've been working with my wife for the past year and a half. Not as bad as you would think, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. I basically run the business (financial and HR) while my wife does the hard work. Our business is putting together medical cases for attorneys. Life care plans, cost projections, screen for merit, etc. It's been pretty interesting work.

I like JerseyHoward am in the business of HVACR. only Iam retired have been retired for a little while. served a four year apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker. then into HVACR service . twisting wrenches, I did sevice work on all types of heating, aircondition, and refrigeration equitpent. I also worked for Lennox industries as service manager in northen calif. and Nev. the last 20 years was self employed.

In my tenth year of retirement from the Toronto Transit Commission where I worked as a bus driver. Before that I was in the auto parts business for 15 years. Loved the auto parts business, the bus driving not so much, but it's the TTC that sends my pension cheque every month.

enterprise1.jpgMarine Machinist trade what do they do? Well I did that for over 38 years for the federal government. My particular job was to test, repair and install various shipboard equipment. Oh yes also test equipment after installation. I enjoyed what I did and being I'm somewhat a mechanic at heart god helped me find this job. One of the most odd jobs I ever had was to repair the main steering helm wheel on the aircraft carrier Enterprise. The bearing on the wheel were worn out and up in the bridge that wheel could sound like a fright train. So I was assigned the task to just get that fixed. It was sort of an easy fix as all carriers have secondary pilot stations and so I just went up forward by the bow and swapped out the wheel up there to replace the one up in the wheel house. Boy the crew was happy with me but it was such a easy fix that I just didn't even think about it. Oh yes its 20 decks up to the wheel house on the Enterprise and so you do want to bring all your tools or you'll be one tired cookie by the end of the day! Loved my job and now its retirement time and headaches with the old Dodge.

Just to let you know those carriers can go pretty fast also as I have been on many sea trials. Oh yes and I have made a few test dives on nuc subs also. Big bucks when doing that kind of work also.:cool:Enterprise.jpg

AFTER HIGH SCHOOL , i decided to retire early. On the side i live off of rich women & cheat people out of money every chance i get , its a rough life , i need a nap ! :)

ya know...I heard that about you...and the women's age...welll some things are best left unsaid...as far as cheating people out of their money..somebody has to do it and why not you eh? its not fleecing if they give it up readly...lol

Edited by Tim Adams

I'm a Registered Nurse on an Acute Care surgical unit at the VA hospital. And a Chemist designing industrial lubricants for HUGE mining equipment and metal working fluids/coolants for machine shop applications....

I worked a couple years as a welder, and 30 years as a truck mechanic, worked on tractors & farm machinery, cars, fire trucks, houses, barns, , whatever needed fixin' , even do some 'stained glass' work , been retired from trucking industry for 12 years now.....never hired anybody to anything !....ie: today, overhauling Ma's washing machine

Edited by knighthawk
spilling

Part of my college education was the study of dairy science from farm level all the way through processing and bottling. Good to know that there is someone here besides myself who (as part of AI service) has done a rectal palpation on dairy cows.
Are those procedures done by certified Amish mechanic---and do you have your certificate to do said procedure?:D

what happens when the patient is a-ugly ??

Not too sure what you mean by that (?) Ugly, as in attitude?

Not too sure what you mean by that (?) Ugly, as in attitude?

Some times you get acute patient, sometimes you you get a ugly.:)

• Like 1

Some times you get acute patient, sometimes you you get a ugly.:)

Oh, I've got it now. WOW. That went right over my head. Good one!