What is your job? OT

Don Coatney

Been there young and...., Maybe never outgrew it totally? Sure some will agree.

Boy Tim, your sure in a Christmas mood!

A good life partner sure is nice but it been a little tough to get out for a while!

Merry Christmas.

DJ

I'm an environmental scientist for a civil engineering firm. I get paid to hike through woods and farmland, mapping streams and wetlands along the way.

I write reports and permits when developers inevitably want to disturb/impact said streams and wetlands. Additionally, I conduct surveys for threatened and endangered plants and animals, in addition to a variety of other tasks. From what I've gathered, it's one of the few viable careers available for folks with a BS in environmental science.

Life is good when your office is the great outdoors!

post-7278-0-05685700-1418909840_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a law enforcement officer in a small town in Ohio.  I also run my own Amsoil business doing most of my business with pickups and diesels. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps stationed in New Orleans from 2007-2011 as well.  Seems there are a lot of retired guys on here, well, I'm one of the young ones, and just getting started out!

Edited by USMC1188

• 1 year later...

I am in housing maintenance 

It is amazing how much stuff people can collect that isn't MoPar related :D

Edited by Brent B3B
Photos deleted-

Never know what you may need! :(

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

Stream ecologist (biologist) currently working on the habitat for 9 endangered aquatic species .  MS degree has allowed me to work in my field since graduation 36 yrs ago.  Unfortunately, at this point in my career I have to deal with more of the Engineering Firms and developers, so I spend less time in the field and more behind a desk.

• Like 2

Nice, this thread is back up on top.  Always interesting to see the eclectic lines of work we all have.  A few occupations I never new existed, but (duh) stuff that has to be done.  I've moved up and over.  Promoted to Chief Patrol Agent for the U.S. Border Patrol's Houlton Sector last year.  While employed with Uncle Sugar (this time) I've gone from south Texas, to west Texas, to southeast New Mexico, to Michigan, to western New York, and now Maine.  More specifically, we live in northern Maine and my indoor office is in Hodgdon, but the entire State is my worksite (uber cool, half the time I drive a desk, the other half I run amok throughout the State.)  Worked in warehousing in NJ for a couple years waiting for USBP to hire me, before that a stint in the Army in Germany holding back the communist horde, then at Ft. Bragg jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.  Before that I did general maintenance (anything mechanical, to include the airplanes) and gofer work for a crop dusting company in Santa Rosa, TX.  High school before that with the obligatory grocery store bag-boy and stocker experience.   

Edited by Dan Hiebert
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Nice, this thread is back up on top.  Always interesting to see the eclectic lines of work we all have.  A few occupations I never new existed, but (duh) stuff that has to be done.  I've moved up and over.  Promoted to Chief Patrol Agent for the U.S. Border Patrol's Houlton Sector last year.  While employed with Uncle Sugar (this time) I've gone from south Texas, to west Texas, to southeast New Mexico, to Michigan, to western New York, and now Maine.  More specifically, we live in northern Maine and my indoor office is in Hodgdon, but the entire State is my worksite (uber cool, half the time I drive a desk, the other half I run amok throughout the State.)  Worked in warehousing in NJ for a couple years waiting for USBP to hire me, before that a stint in the Army in Germany holding back the communist horde, then at Ft. Bragg jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.  Before that I did general maintenance (anything mechanical, to include the airplanes) and gofer work for a cop dusting company in Santa Rosa, TX.  High school before that with the obligatory grocery store bag-boy and stocker experience.   

and all this time I thought Bo and Luke had a monopoly on that

did my stint in Germany also...Augsburg....go ASA

I was a singer/songwriter and author, and currently still write research reports and a new book.  I am a professional cabinet maker and have designed a few prices of Art Deco/Moderne furniture.  I like to dabble in various things.  Next year I am beginning a ministry at churches witnessing to how the Holy Spirit works in our lives.  Being in the music business, I need a lot of work!

• Like 1

Sure to put a crimp in n the finances, especially with the new property.  Does give you a bunch more time to do some of the labor intensive parts of projects.  Hopefully you got a good severance or is the new owner going to continue the business.

My sister-in-law drove a school bus for years. She used to tell stories about how tough the CHP inspectors were during the final examination when she was first licensed.

He kept asking her questions and she managed to answer every one.

He could not trip her up, so finally he asked her, "How many bolts does the mudflap have?"

She didn't want to hesitate, and she didn't want to guess, so she blurted out, "Enough to hold it on!"

She drove that catterpiggle school bus over Pacheco Pass twice a day for 20 years.

Edited by Ulu

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, ggdad1951 said:

in 2 weeks unemployed.....:(  company sold out from under us with no warning...

got a job offer today from the purchasing company...no title, no job description, but an offer.  Same pay, same vaca, no negotiation, but a paycheck.  A few other irons in the fire still...will see what shakes out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

got a job offer today from the purchasing company...not title, no job description, but an offer.  Same pay, same vaca, no negotiation, but a paycheck.  A few other irons in the fire still...will see what shakes out.

Good to keep a positive outlook - as the saying goes, "When one door closes, another one opens" :) 

I retired 34Yrs. ago from The New York City Dept. Of Sanitation, Then became a union truck driver " Teamster Local 282" retired from that three years ago.  Now I'm a union SAG-AFTRA Actor with my cars.

IMG_7585.JPG

Edited by LODI3QTR
  • Like 1