What is your job? OT

Don Coatney

I work in Outside Sales for a plumbing supply company. We provide high purity and chemical resistant pipe to a variety of industries. My territory deals specifically with mechanical contractors who install our piping, tanks, pumps, filters, and systems. Typically we are working in the Semiconductor, Pharmaceutical, Solar, and Water Treatment industries. I travel the San Francisco Bay Area providing technical assistance to our customers. Before that, I was a volunteer firefighter in Northern California. That station is now closed, guess we cant even afford Firefighters who work for free!

I'm an Amway sales person and if you need to make some extra money than you can work down line of me!:D I can show you how to become a very rich person by just selling products to your best friends (soon to be not your best friends). J:cool:

I am a lead mechanic at a hospital in Madison WI. I do just about any kind of repair needed. I am also involved with building automation systems. Sort of a jack of all trades position. Been there 29 years, previously a machinist mate in the Navy for 6 years. At least 10 more years before I can even think of retirement.:D

I keep waiting for this one....

I am a lineman for the county, and I work the....

Glen;

I just got another overload:rolleyes:

Country singer Glen Campbell was arrested in November 2003 on drunk driving and hit and run charges. According to Arizona cops, the 67-year-old performer was nabbed shortly after plowing his BMW into another auto at a Phoenix intersection. He left the accident scene, but was arrested at his nearby home, where cops smelled booze on his breath and noted that Campbell looked smashed. After he was booked into a Maricopa County lockup, Campbell kneed a sergeant in the thigh--for which the country star was hit with an aggravated assault on a police officer charge. Campbell posed for the bottom mug shot in July 2004 after checking into a Phoenix lockup to serve the first of ten nights in jail. The singer, now 68, pleaded guilty in May to extreme DUI and leaving the scene of an accident.

campbellnewmug1.jpg

campbellnewmug1.jpg

Glen;

I just got another overload:rolleyes:

Country singer Glen Campbell was arrested in November 2003 on drunk driving and hit and run charges. According to Arizona cops, the 67-year-old performer was nabbed shortly after plowing his BMW into another auto at a Phoenix intersection. He left the accident scene, but was arrested at his nearby home, where cops smelled booze on his breath and noted that Campbell looked smashed. After he was booked into a Maricopa County lockup, Campbell kneed a sergeant in the thigh--for which the country star was hit with an aggravated assault on a police officer charge. Campbell posed for the bottom mug shot in July 2004 after checking into a Phoenix lockup to serve the first of ten nights in jail. The singer, now 68, pleaded guilty in May to extreme DUI and leaving the scene of an accident.

campbellnewmug1.jpg

Ohmigod but he has not aged well. Too much booze and cigarettes (judging by the crow's feet at his eyes). Looks more like he is in his 80's except for the dyed hair! Some people grow old gracefully and some don't. I always liked his music though.

Today a little of this and a little of that...

As a kid we had an adult retraining center at our high school. They let about 20 kids use two electives (2 hours/day) and take an electronics class. The teacher was just back from Vietnam as an avionics tech on an aircraft Carrier.

Four years of DC and AC electronics.

I went off to the University of California at Davis. After a trip to Europe I got an interest in planning with an emphasis of transportation, technology transfer, and the behavioral science connecting it all.

I then did work for some transit agencies around San Francisco until I realized that the elected heads of these agencies could not give a dame about listening to the professional planners. They just played politics. In school I read about Robert Mosses and thought that his one man show in New York was a bad thing. I came to realize that planning by committee is worse.

When I was barley out of high school I was given a Radio Shack Model One computer (late 1978) and spent a couple of years learning how to program in basic. While going to UC, I continued to play with micro computers well ahead of the curve of others.

I was the only kid in my dorm that have a computer hooked up to the VAX via a "modulator". I did not have to wait in line for a terminal !!!

To make a long story short, my computer skills kept getting ask for even while I was trying to be a transportation planner - analyst.

After deciding that I had had it with the government planning sector, I went to work for a consulting firm doing all kinds of computer work. I did everything from building computers, building networks, developing software, and increasingly doing business process planning as my behavioral science training came in handy.

I did this kind of work full time as a consultant and employee for many years. The last 4 years of full time computer work (like 60 hour work weeks)was as the Manager of Technology for a company that operated a dozen US Flag Merchant Marine container ships for APL (American President Lines) of Oakland, CA. We also ran about a dozen ships for MARAD and some row-row's for the US Navy. My responsibilities included just about everything that dealt with computers, software, and communications. Including all the satellite communication links.

About 2002, I decided that I did not want to become like the other senior managers that I was dealing with. You are what you eat and you become what you work with.

So I quit and went to work doing consulting work. Over the last 8 years, I spend some time each year doing consulting projects and I spend some time working on other folks classic cars. With each year I do less computer work and more classic car work.

In addition to that work, I have spent a large amount of time and money on a long term Not-For-Profit project. (www.PursuitField.com)

So today I spend about 1/3 of my time on computers, 1/3 of my time on cars, and 1/3 of my time on the project.

With a little luck, I can continue this until we can get the Pursuit Field Project off the ground and that will become a 24 hour job.

James

I could take song or so of his in a good mix...but after seeing his attemp at acting in True Grit...had no use for him from that moment forward..I once thought a lot of Marty Robbins till I saw him in person...sorriest live performance I have ever seen in my entire life right up till this past year and the local high school play..

chemical engineering technologist.... plus jack of all trades, was working in the pulp and paper industry until I got locked out of my job for 3 years, then got moved to the ottawa area to work once again in the p&p industry, and was travelling across NA.... got laid off 8 months later, and now I`m working for the Canadian government to help citizens access governement services.

Allan

chemical engineering technologist.... plus jack of all trades, was working in the pulp and paper industry until I got locked out of my job for 3 years, then got moved to the ottawa area to work once again in the p&p industry, and was travelling across NA.... got laid off 8 months later, and now I`m working for the Canadian government to help citizens access governement services.

Allan

Allan, really good to hear from you again. Glad things are finally working out. Keep in touch a little more often if possible!:)

after 4 years navy with two long cruises in the early '70s on the ticonderoga cv14 (vintage 1944), misc small jobs until i drove for consolidated freightways and then finished my time with abf , retired (but still drive ocasionally) and procrastionate on most all the projects that are a-waiting....:o

I work as a mechanical engineer on the design of office printers for 19 years.

Most of the work is in plastic parts and fine mechanics. The only dirt I get on my fingers during this job is toner or keyboard dirt :D.

B.t.w., I did a quick scan on all the jobs....and if I didn't miss a post, I didn't see anyone that worked for a bank. Don't they like classic cars, or are they afraid to admit :eek:

enterprise1.jpgMarine Machinist trade what do they do? Well I did that for over 38 years for the federal government. My particular job was to test, repair and install various shipboard equipment. Oh yes also test equipment after installation. I enjoyed what I did and being I'm somewhat a mechanic at heart god helped me find this job. One of the most odd jobs I ever had was to repair the main steering helm wheel on the aircraft carrier Enterprise. The bearing on the wheel were worn out and up in the bridge that wheel could sound like a fright train. So I was assigned the task to just get that fixed. It was sort of an easy fix as all carriers have secondary pilot stations and so I just went up forward by the bow and swapped out the wheel up there to replace the one up in the wheel house. Boy the crew was happy with me but it was such a easy fix that I just didn't even think about it. Oh yes its 20 decks up to the wheel house on the Enterprise and so you do want to bring all your tools or you'll be one tired cookie by the end of the day! Loved my job and now its retirement time and headaches with the old Dodge.

Just to let you know those carriers can go pretty fast also as I have been on many sea trials. Oh yes and I have made a few test dives on nuc subs also. Big bucks when doing that kind of work also.:cool:Enterprise.jpg

I was stationed on the Enterprise for a couple of West Pac cruises. Was ther for the end of the Vietnam thing. i have some fond memories of that time in my life. Jim C.

This may have come up before but I think it is time to ask again as this has come up on several postings.

What do all of you do for a living?

Personally, I up-grade the machines that shred (dont confuse this with the "MAD MONEY" movie) and count the bank notes (AKA greenbacks) for the Federal Reserve Banks all across the country. That is why I frequently travel. My normal (or abnormal) work schedule is two weeks on the road (or in the air) and one week at home. What do the rest of you do to support this old car hobby or better yet habit??????????

Bookseller: I sell used and rare books. I have done this for the last 30 years.

enterprise1.jpgMarine Machinist trade what do they do? Well I did that for over 38 years for the federal government. My particular job was to test, repair and install various shipboard equipment. Oh yes also test equipment after installation. I enjoyed what I did and being I'm somewhat a mechanic at heart god helped me find this job. One of the most odd jobs I ever had was to repair the main steering helm wheel on the aircraft carrier Enterprise. The bearing on the wheel were worn out and up in the bridge that wheel could sound like a fright train. So I was assigned the task to just get that fixed. It was sort of an easy fix as all carriers have secondary pilot stations and so I just went up forward by the bow and swapped out the wheel up there to replace the one up in the wheel house. Boy the crew was happy with me but it was such a easy fix that I just didn't even think about it. Oh yes its 20 decks up to the wheel house on the Enterprise and so you do want to bring all your tools or you'll be one tired cookie by the end of the day! Loved my job and now its retirement time and headaches with the old Dodge.

Just to let you know those carriers can go pretty fast also as I have been on many sea trials. Oh yes and I have made a few test dives on nuc subs also. Big bucks when doing that kind of work also.:cool:Enterprise.jpg

I got to help moor her to the fuel pier at Pearl Harbor back in the late 70's. Just like standing next to a high rise building. The fuel pier was the only mooring place at Pearl deep enough for her. Haze Grey and underway! :D

After earning my airframe and powerplant tickets I worked for Continental and TWA airlines, then took a 5 year detour working for Bendix brake.

Now working as a NYC elevator service tech, which if the economy allows, I hope to stay with for another 15 years or so.

Russellc

I left General Aviation in 1972 when it tanked never to return to its former glory. I did design and drafting for Mooney aircraft for 11 years and was asked to go to North American and Piper but decided to find something else to do. Went to work for the Texas Aeronautics commission as a civil draftsman and never looked back,retired after 32 years of service. I would not recommend general aviation to anyone for a career, and the Air Lines are not a sure deal themselves.