firing order

lugnut123

15 is too young, 36 is too old, 24 is just right. You'll remember this way.

Gene G.

Hmmm. I just visualize the crank and if you think about it there are only two possible firing orders for a in-line six: 153624 and 142635. Thats because #1 & #6 move up and down together, #2 & #5 move up and down together and #3 & #4 move up and down together.

Starting with number #1, the next one can't be #6 and you want it on the back of the engine so your choices are either #5 or #4. Once you pick one of those there is only one possible next cylinder on the front half of the engine and the order is fixed.

All of the very small sampling of 6 cylinder in-line engines I've dealt with use the 153624 order.

All the auotmotive, agricultural and commercial engines I've ever run across use the same firing order. Soime Europeon diesels start there count from the flywheel end but still use the same order.

Hmmm. I just visualize the crank and if you think about it there are only two possible firing orders for a in-line six: 153624 and 142635. Thats because #1 & #6 move up and down together, #2 & #5 move up and down together and #3 & #4 move up and down together.

Starting with number #1, the next one can't be #6 and you want it on the back of the engine so your choices are either #5 or #4. Once you pick one of those there is only one possible next cylinder on the front half of the engine and the order is fixed.

All of the very small sampling of 6 cylinder in-line engines I've dealt with use the 153624 order.

153624 is the norm for straight 6`s.

142635 is usually found on counter rotating engines. Mainly in marine applications.