OT chevey 350 engine in my 48 will not turn over

Lou Earle

Let my 48 with the 350 sit about 3months went to fire it up it will not turn over. Have done the following

removed starter had new gear and bushings installed everything else checked out fine

changed batteries

hooked starter directly to battery and hot wired solenoid direct also.

Starter bumps and sometimes turns it just a bit but then freezes up.

Anyone got any suggestions- it is a 350 with 700 trans.

I am baffled?

Lou

first..remove the plugs and then try to turn the engine over...just in case there may have been a hydro-lock..PLACE a dry paper towel at each plug opening to visualize if indeed it should spin and verify presence of water...if this does not work..you hay have a bit of moisture problem that is not quite enough to hydrolock but yet rust glaze the wall..my may have to work the flywheel back and forth as you slowly scrape the cylcnder wall clean.. I have had to do this to a number of small block chevies for some reason..

might want to check and see if you have the right starter. you said they changed the gear. i had alot of trouble out of a starter once when they give me one for a 350 and i had a 4.3. it had a gear reduction starter and the 350 one would bolt on but it would hang up in the flywheel and lock up. just a thought.

might want to check and see if you have the right starter. you said they changed the gear. i had alot of trouble out of a starter once when they give me one for a 350 and i had a 4.3. it had a gear reduction starter and the 350 one would bolt on but it would hang up in the flywheel and lock up. just a thought.

good point some of those gear reduction starters are both 154 and 168 tooth. I have one on the shelf however I did not use it with my new motor for the street rod motor

idk just going by what he said about changing the gear on the starter. you said it had only set for about 3 months i cant see it getting that rusted up in that short of time that a good battery and starter wouldnt turn it over.you could put a socket on the damper pulley and see if you can break it loose with that. if there is no water in the cylinders something might have came loose inside and have it fouled. just my opinion..