Horses?

crosleykook

I'm fairly sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find it...

what horsepower are the stock mopar 6 flatheads? I'm specifically wondering about a '52 Dodge?

On a vicariously related note... when pulling the engine out of said '52 dodge wagon, is there a way NOT to disrupt the fluid drive mechanism? from what I've heard, there are best left alone if in working order...

thanks!

that ONE horse eats alot of 100 to 200 dollar a ton hay EVERY day. My gas fired horsepower only eats when its ON!! You cant ride that one horse enough to get your hays worth. Not to say they cant be enjoyed. I used to have one too,when I was younger,,,now I appreciate them being on the 'other' side of the fence.

I heard the old saying that pets of any kind (horses,dogs, cats,you name it))were more pure 'work' to tend than children. least the kids grow up and need less 'care'. It is a dedicated JOB with pets!! Forever!! I am NOT against them,,,just the folks that get them and think they keep for free and NO work!! Also the people that spend more money on THEM than they would give to help a poor disabled person down and out on their 'luck'. THAT I dont understand too good!! Arent people worth more than animals???Wanna be a BETTER person and feel good about yourself,,,help a disabled person survive!!

Okay,I fell off the soap box now!! Just my 2 cents worth (pre-tax)

that ONE horse eats alot of 100 to 200 dollar a ton hay EVERY day. My gas fired horsepower only eats when its ON!! You cant ride that one horse enough to get your hays worth. Not to say they cant be enjoyed. I used to have one too,when I was younger,,,now I appreciate them being on the 'other' side of the fence.

I heard the old saying that pets of any kind (horses,dogs, cats,you name it))were more pure 'work' to tend than children. least the kids grow up and need less 'care'. It is a dedicated JOB with pets!! Forever!! I am NOT against them,,,just the folks that get them and think they keep for free and NO work!! Also the people that spend more money on THEM than they would give to help a poor disabled person down and out on their 'luck'. THAT I dont understand too good!! Arent people worth more than animals???Wanna be a BETTER person and feel good about yourself,,,help a disabled person survive!!

Okay,I fell off the soap box now!! Just my 2 cents worth (pre-tax)

Think RECYCLE. That horse does eat a lot of hay. However if you collect the waste the horse produces, just think of all that methane gas you'll get for FREE. You could then produce a lot of heat with that gas. Plus by recycling the horses waste you won't cut your foot when walking in the field, producing more savings from medical bills to treat the cut foot.:D

Thanks all for the info... based on HP comparison, I think I can scrap the momentary thought of dropping my rebuilt 170 slant six into the engine bay to replace the ailing flathead.

I really need to figure out exactly where I'm going with the ole '52, which has refused all efforts to fire up. knowing that I don't have to disrupt the mysterious Fluid Drive mechanism to pull the motor makes me relax a bit. I feel almost superstitious about disrupting that beast!

Since the motor is so reluctant to fire (yet it turns over with key, and 'ran when parked' circa 1987) I'm thinking I need to at least pull the head -and maybe the whole motor- depending on what I find. It will be dang strange to be tinkering with an engine that's actually LESS sophisticated than a Crosley!

Is it a better plan to pull the engine/trans as a unit and separate once out of the car, or better to simply yank/reinstall the engine leaving the fluid drive and trans in the car?

anyway, thanks again... I lurk on this board a lot and am continually amazed by the breadth of knowledge here!

--tim

Whats it doing or not doing where it wont run?? Fire? Gas? Least ya dont have to worry if the computer has failed. Here is another magic trick for getting it started after a LONG set in the barn or trees. Dont use the starter or battery. You have to have a full battery BUT hook a chain on it and drag it around till it DOES start. Dont know why but they start better that way,,,guess maybe you get them spinning faster and more constant than a starter can!!! IF your getting fire,,,chances are your carb is completely varnished up. IF your gonna run it that way, kit it first,,,if thats what it takes to run. It might even run poorly ,,pull starting it even then,,as gunked as it is, how it is. IF it ran when parked they usually fire back up if you can break them to lead!! Try it,,,you may LIKE it!!!

It's got spark at all 6, and I've been pouring a little bit of gas down the carb- i'm sure the tank is full of crap, so i don't want to suck that in. Initially I'd hoped to get it running with a line into a gascan-- now I'd just like to get it to cough once! The engine does seem to crank pretty slowly, even with new 6 volt cables.

I've started quite a few cars with a push or a chain, but I thought that push-starting wouldn't work with the Fluid drive?.... if it *does* work, is it bad for the fluid drive unit?

tim

Have you run a compression check to see if all the valves are closing..these cars have a tendency to stick a valve open when setting for a long spell. The gas poured into the carb may by now have washed all oil from the rings and you are increasing your blowby lowering compression also.

Suggest that you do a wet compression test..after that and good readings, you can also disconnect your coil from the car's battery and jumper in a second battery to power it. Reason is that if you have voltage drop due to bad cable or small cable coupled with a dragging starter due to worn rear bushing in the starter motor..the currrent drain is so great that there may not be enough reserve to power the ignition good...sounds funky? just remember where the power is coming from for the iginition.

Without compression, the amount of fire/air/fuel is of no consequence. I you have splash fouled the plugs with raw fuel..good cleaning there may be in order.

Dry some starting fluid instead of the gas. If it's going to kick over it'll kick over on that.

Both of my bumpers have bends in them from when my grandfather tried to pull start the Dodge about 20 years ago when I asked if it ran. He had my brother pull him around on the dirt road. Dirt road + logging chain + fluid drive + older brother pulling the car is not a good mix

I recently got an old 48 - not run in 4 years but motor looked rebuilt -and it was.

Here is how I got it started and it runs well and in fact is a newly rebuilt engine. Other owner had carb messed up and had quit on car.

1 drained oil. - poured in some kerosene- 4 quarts let it sit a while-Do not crank it over with kerosene in it.

then ran air hose extension down oil dipstick tube and agitated the kerosene.

2-Let it sit overnight then drained it That got a lot of sludge out.

3 Then put in 30 wt oil. removed the plugs. Then cranked her until had good oil pressure. Let it sit while I installed new points condenser and plugs in (removed distributor and did work on bench ). re installed dist. And installed a rebuilt carb.

4 Set the timing( be sure and remember-I write it down- where the rotor button is pointing when u remove the dist- Don't crank and re-install in the same position)

5- make a good gas source-simplest one is can with fitting on bottom hanging from a 2x4 (gravity flow) attach the gas.

6-make a wire with an alligator clip on one end attach it to the small stud on the starter relay. then when ready touch the other end to the neg side of the battery to turn engine over. I crank it without starting and build up oil pressure again. then I attach an alligator clipped wire at each end directly to coil ignition side then to neg side of battery. Check and make sure your battery is installed correctly- negative to starter solenoid pos to ground.

7 pour some gas in the carb- 2 tablespoons- give it a minute and fire it up.

If doesn't fire begin tracing problem- but it should start. Can also use soem quick start but should notr have to .

One other thing you can do is try all the above using a 12 volt battery- will not hurt the dist or starter BUT DO NOT TURN ON ANY LIGHTS RADIO ETC.

I would get it started in the car before I removed it. I have done this on 5 or 6 "bad engines" only to find they all ran with varying conditions.

The one I just started turns out to be almost a new rebuild and I bought the whole car for 400!!! The guy swore the engine was shot!!!

Engine repairs - internal can get rather expensive

consider this: if your car burns/drips a quart of oil every 100 miles and you get 1.50a quart oil 100 quarts of oil will carry you 10,000. miles.

$1,500 of oil will carry you 100,000 miles. Engine rebuild will be about 1500 minimum.

I would near about bet the farm your engine is not that bad.

If it does not start send the board specifices and I bet these guys can get it started from their computers!!

Lou

Brad Both bumpers?

Yep...

Right over the "D" in Drive

http://www.bradlustig.com/images/dodge/IMG_0836.JPG

Similar in the front, too.

One thing you don't want to do is something I did. Make sure the key is turned to the right, not the left. Car will turn over, but not fire. I spent about half an hour trying to start it up this way until I went to turn the key off and it went to the right. It was a little sticky and wouldn't turn to the right without jiggling it just right. It had been about 10 years since I'd started it before so I hadn't remembered to two different directions.