Welding an exhaust manifold

vw4x4111

HI,

I need my Exhaust manifold welded. I'm thinking

about using these guys.."Crow Custom Cast Welding".

http://www.castmetalwelding.com/index.html

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?

I'm really looking for a good source to weld cast iron

but this looks to be a fairly rarely needed thing.

Anyone have a good source?

Eric

How bad is your manifold??? alot of cracks can be done with mig stuff. the trick is to "V" grind the area to be welded, and heat up the area around the weld, do the repair, then cool it slowly, heard tell, some folks use thier ovens or BBQ grill to control the speed at which the cool down occurs.

most cast iron cracks are drilled at the end as a stop measure priot to the v-ing and weld process...as Greg states the process of controlling the heat prior and after the weld is the key to a lasting fix...

surely there may be a local in and out shop in your area..if usure of a welding shop of good reputation...ask you local trusted machine shop...

I had a pair of exhaust manifolds welded up to convert them to a dual split system. I cut the manifolds myself and had them welded by a blacksmith(I'm in the country, lol).............I would check the local phone book for either a good competent welder or blacksmith.......I can oxy, stick & MIG weld mild steel but I thought that cast Iron really needs someone who knows what they are doing........lol..........so I went to The Man........lol..........and got a good job.........andyd

post-1938-13585353271117_thumb.jpg

A friend and I have split three manifolds from P-15 engines. I cut, grind, fit all pieces and bolt the parts to a piece of 3"x3"x3/8" angle iron and heat in a gas fired cooker until hot then remove and clamp the angle iron in the vice on the welding table. We use a high Nichol welding rod for cast iron in his stick welder. While he welds I heat the rest of the manifold with a torch, when finished we return it to the cooker and drop the temperature over a three hour period to prevent the cast iron from cracking next to the weld. I buy used cast iron skillets and cooking utensils for block off plates and used manifolds at swap meets that have an outlet I think I can use. The one on my car has 15,000 miles on it and still holding.

I had a 33 Plymouth that the ears of the exhaust manifold were broken off and hada good crack in it. I found a guy in Riverside Ca. That brazed on new ears and fixed the crack, It worked very good, after some grinding to make it look good, I used Por15 paint to make it look one color. worked real good. The welder name was Fortune on Arlington Ave. Riverside Ca. Tony C

When I split the exhaust manifolds on my chevy pickup I used pieces of another manifold, cast rod and arc welded it. I didn't preheat the metal but did allow it to cool really slow. Some say to bury the manifold in a bucket of sand to slow the cooling. That was 10+ years ago and still no cracks.