dual carb linkage on right side of carburetor, any one have pics

n1gzd_plymouth

I can actually attest to carburetor icing situation, where the flow of air past the trottle plate and into the manifold actually caused ice to form on the outside of the carb.

This was back when I ran a honda civic as an ice race car. It would run great for about half of a 10 miute race, then would start chhugging and shut off. A couple minutes of sitting would allow it to start right up and drive fine again. but this was not conducive to beig competative.

I finally plumbed heated air from the passenger foot well to the air cleaner, and the problem disappeared. So under the condition we were operating, cold temps high humidity, and WOT for most of the time not only was fuel dropping out of suspension, but having the moisture in the air freeze also.

So You gotta make up your mind based on under what conditions your car will work under. If driving in cold weather will be a large part of its existance, or for folks like Pete at high elevations, then the proper heating of the intake is probably an important consideration. From my operatonal experience, not so much.

Examine the evidence, do due diligence and arrive at your conclusion.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't quite tell how they are supporting that linkage. Is it bolted somehow to the intake? This does look interesting. Do you know where I can view a larger image of it?

Rebecca

That's how Langdon's linkage kit works... don't have a picture handy, but it's a pair of plates that bolt inbetween the carbs and intake to support a linkage rod. The rest of the linkage in the kit works out like mine.

Pete

If you have some fabricating skills, you can make a couple of plates shaped like the Carb gasket with ears on them. The ears are then bent perpendicular to the plate and drilled to hold the horizontal linkage rod. The plates are then mouted between the carb and the maifold or ay spacers you might be using. This of course requires extra gaskets. It looks like the manifold was drilled and taped for the counter sunk screws holding the bell crank. there should be plenty of meat there and the holes needn't be very deep. If they were to go through thread sealer would prevent any downstream air intake.through them. If you don't wand look at the screws, the bottom of the manifold could be drilled and taped, and the bracket "L" shaped.

Or you could call George Asche and buy a couple of his mounts (description pirated above) and linkage stuff.

Looks like the bracket is mounted into drilled and taped holes in the intake. The holes needn't be deep, but if they were to go thorugh, thread sealer would keep out any downstream air. The gasket shaped deals are what Greorge Asche has been sell for a few years, if you have some fab skill they need an ear on them bent perpendicular t the plate with w hole drilled them. You retain the horizontal linkage piece with some set screw threaded collets. Or you could just buy them ready made from George.

If you don't like the looks of the screws on the side of the intake, drill and tap them on the bottom, and make the bellcrank bracket "L" shaped .

Edited by greg g

If you have some fabricating skills, you can make a couple of plates shaped like the Carb gasket with ears on them. The ears are then bent perpendicular to the plate and drilled to hold the horizontal linkage rod. The plates are then mouted between the carb and the maifold or ay spacers you might be using.

That is exactly what I was trying to describe above. I wish that I could see a picture of a setup like that.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca-

Here's an example of a heat plate... Langdon's sells this one for $30.

HEATPLATE_MOPAR_LG.JPG

The brass fittings connect to the heater hose and run hot coolant through the cavity in the bottom of the intake to prevent icing and air/fuel mixture condensing.

Here's a couple of pics of the linkage plate that Greg described in his post- I believe these were made out of stainless by George Asche.

CarbInstall1.jpg

CarbInstall4.jpg

This engine belongs to member "Terry in Bozrah". You can see more pics in his album here. This engine is in a PowerWagon truck, so the linkage pulls from the firewall to the bell-crank mounted to the intake.

Pete

Rebecca-

If you are planning to go with the cable to pull the linkage, then you can mount the cable in a variety of ways.

I used an inexpensive off the shelf throttle bracket from my local car quest, and mounted it to the base of one of the carbs. You can see it in this pic.

Pete

throttle3.JPG

Hey Rebecca, I noticed today that one of my cast iron intakes has the side bracket like yours. If you'd like to use it to modify, instead of your original, you are welcome to it.

Wow cool set up. is this a commom up grade or do I need to source some really hard to find stuff?

This picture has sold me on staying with my stock motor if I can just change a cam and head for better flow??

head and cam is available through edgy speed shop edmunds intake I got off of ebay and headers were through

www.exhaustedbyphillips.com, carbs I got from Langdon stovebolt.

head and cam is available through edgy speed shop edmunds intake I got off of ebay and headers were through

www.exhaustedbyphillips.com, carbs I got from Langdon stovebolt.

The phillips headers are way cool... Curious if you can get the valve tappet covers off without removing the headers?

I have Langdon's headers on mine, and there is no way to adjust the valves without removing the intake and exhaust manifolds first. Thus, no way to do a hot valve adjustment.

If the pic doesn't show, hit reload on your browser...

headersinstalled2.JPG

Pete

Pete, same thing with mine, I just removed them as quick as I could and then did the valve adjustments

The phillips headers are way cool... Curious if you can get the valve tappet covers off without removing the headers?

I have Langdon's headers on mine, and there is no way to adjust the valves without removing the intake and exhaust manifolds first. Thus, no way to do a hot valve adjustment.

If the pic doesn't show, hit reload on your browser...

headersinstalled2.JPG

Pete