5 Speed, Not T5

Robert Horne

My project I have been working on is to adapt a 5 speed to my 36 engine. This is a 5 speed from a 86 or 87 Ranger. I believe 83 to 87 Ranger 5 speeds are very similar. These are not T5 5 speeds. The name is TOYO KOGYO 1983-87. The pilot shaft seems to be a good length if not using and adpter plate, but an adpter plate may be used.

GEDC0299.jpg

GEDC0302.jpg

• Like 1

Have not found any information on the gearing. Only info I have at this time is these are in 1983 to 87 Rangers. I was looking for a T5 at the salvage yards when I came accross some of these. Bought this one from an ad in the paper, for $50...............Bob...............

The Transmissions from Rangers are eithe made by Mazda or Mitsubishi. or under the Mazda corporate name of Toyo Kogyo. they are an OD top gear but not by much.

Depending on trans the OD is .79 or .80 but still not to bad, 3100 Rpm would be reduced to 2500 which seems like a good cruising rpm.

www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html

GEDC0297.jpg

This is the bottom. 14 bolt pan. Mechanical speedometer gear.

Seems like the 1988 and up have a 1 piece bell, so would not be adaptable.

The 1983 to 1987 Toyo Kogyo was used in alot of vehicles, Bronco 11, Aerostar, Rangers, etc. Found rebuild kits for $137, plus $60 for syncro ring kits.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe those are sorced from the MAZDA parts bin. the ratios for the trucks are fairly close and the OD is about 24%. The ones from the car side have wider ratios and a taler top gear. I think the Miata uses the same trans withthe different ratios. Toyo Kogyo is the Mazda corporate umbrella. You might check 5speed 2 wd Mazda Tributes as they are considered lighter duty than the pickups and might have the wider ratios.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html

Very interesting build. What did your car have before? Fluid drive or standard 3 speed?

I have noticed that the bell housings on the fluid drives are a lot deeper to accept the "torque converter" and still house the clutch.

The length of that 5 speed shaft looks like it might work on a fluid drive bell housing?

GEDC0235.jpg

The length of the 38 bell housing and the shaft of the trans matchs pretty good, close to 7.75 inch...........

• 10 months later...

Looks promising. For folks wanting a 5-speed, there are a number of smaller, 'light duty' units that should pair nicely with the flathead 6 power levels. Not every project needs a t-5 or AX15.

• 2 months later...

th_5speednotT525inch002.jpg

th_5speednotT525inch001.jpg

I am using a bench seat, 3rd row seat from a Chevy Surburban.

The Ranger 5 speed shifter is about 25 inch from the engine block.

The 38 trans shifter is about 12 inch or so from the engine block.

12 inch or so back from the 38 trans shifter looks to be enough space

for the 5 speed shifter.:cool:

Will be awhile before I can get this road ready. I am going to China for month in a couple of weeks. Have been working on the 56 engine also. I would like to put the 56 engine, with the 5 speed on it, into the 38. Should make for a good ride. Have new tires ready to mount. Replaced a brake line for the 3rd time, poor quality brass fittings, and finally got good brakes. The car is finally coming together....:cool: