Bullying

Normspeed

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a mechanic and to everyone, Normspeed, Don C, Young Ed just to name a few, thanks for all the help and great advice. My father was a mechanic until he retired, while I did help him when I was a kid I am definately not a mechanic. I have definately asked stupid questions like the firing order (DUMB I know:o) but you guys answered questions offered suggestions and helped me get her started for the first time 35 years. :) I like the good natured jesting and rousting that goes on here. Please step back and stick it out you all are fun.

Now as to the beer sounds great and I don't drink anymore. OK no bad jokes about any less either... Got enough of that in the Army way back when. ;) At least I am a little closer being in NJ.

My brother lives in Morris County NJ, I get up there may take a side trip into NY. Anybody hang out around Philly?

Keep smiling and make the world paranoid....:P

HA I can never remember that dumb firing order either. I know the poem about the 15yo girl being too young but I can never remember if just right is 24 or 26

HA I can never remember that dumb firing order either. I know the poem about the 15yo girl being too young but I can never remember if just right is 24 or 26

I gota hear that poem....I have never heard it.

I dont believe there is a dumb question. I believe there is a failure to communicate. Dont get me wrong, I have never gone pass 12th grade education and more than half of that was in another country! I dont consider myself smart or educated.

But I know if I want a valid answer from a forum member I must pose the question with as much as background as possible, and list all my findings and all the search I have personally done. I hate when people post: "what is this I need. where to get cheap." I feel like they should say, "I have looked for this in such and such and I cant find it locally, where should I find it at a reasonable price etc. "

lets have a resolution. those who dont like how arrogant and lazy people post, lets not waste time trying to steer them in the right direction. I will count myself in that group. and lets get back to work on cars! I am spending Sat and Sun under the desoto!

Does anyone have left hand and right hand lug nuts..maybe like 3 of each.

Edited by mackster

Yes I have 3 of each. If 24 is just right that would make the poem 15 to young 36 to old 24 just right. And if you can remember that then 153624 should be the firing order of any inline 6 you care to work on.

Anybody wanna get a beer? :o

I do!

If y'all are lookin for somebody to jive on, try this. I'm 66 years old and cannot tell you what beer tastes like since I have never tasted it. I grew up 3 doors from a tarvern, and I know what it smells like, and I find the odor rather unpleasant.

Unleash your comments.

I never thought of that. I remember my father saying it over and over just never figured out what he was talking about. Those years I was too interested in finding them. Now I know. :)

Me always try something twice then if the second time doesn't work I ask. Most times the second time works.

As to education: it doesn't matter. If you learn in school or on the job you still have the know how I don't. I try to ask not too stupid questions but sometimes I am not even sure of the name of part muchless how to fix. Like I said just learning as I go, and go and go...

Just waiting for the temp to warm up some to get back to her. Started rebuilding the spare master and wheel cylinders that came with the car in the shed hoping to finish them up to be ready to install when the ground gets a little warmer.

My Dad used to drink an occasional beer while in his basement workshop.

I would smell it and wonder how could anyone drink that??

Later on, at the last of high school, I finally tried it. At that moment, it

didn't seem all so bad after all. Have to say I sip some from time to time,

but not on a regular basis like some guys I know. Some seem to always have

a beer in their hand.

I agree with Joe about those martinis.....not too hot per my taster.

Michael;

There-in is the issue. This discussion began when I attempted to probe you into learing a bit about your automobile by asking that you learn about torquing your head. I was told to lighten up by normspeed so I deleted my posting. However the fact is IF you followed the advice given by me and others you can and will learn about your car and cuss or discuss it in a language understood by most everybody here.

A lesson I have learned in life is to stand my ground when I am right or at least when I feel I am right. And in this case I feel I am right. Your lack of knowledge could have cost you a lot of money. Fortunately a forum member stepped up to the plate and bailed you out. His approach was better than my approach but our objectives were both the same.

i appreciate you trying to save me money, but what about when you tried to rip me off on a part for my car, trying to get $200 for fender chrome which you can buy from roberts for $45, and then posting on the forum that you were trying to rip me off since i didnt know anything and you thought it was ok, (very suprised you posted taht publically) everyone posts about how your a good guy then why pull a move like that? its one thing to make money, but that is highway robbery, and not cool to a new guy, its like stealing from an old lady. i didnt think you needed 200 that badly, as you always brag about your 401k.

im not here to pick on don, he knows alot about these cars and has comments for everything, good bad or indifferent that is him, end of story.

but i really dont care about that, but im not here to havea he said she said match with anyone, im here trying to interact with fellow mopar nuts like myself.

now getting back to probing me, into learning about torquing my head.

I AM NEVER GOING TO TORQUE MY HEAD, THATS WHY I AM PAYING A MAN TO DO IT FOR ME, SINCE HE HAS BEEN DOING IT FOR 40 YEARS, I HAVE HIS EXPERIENCE AND I ONLY HAVE TO PAY HIM A COUPLE GRAND FOR THIS AMAZING CONCEPT. this is how this man makes his living he is an engine builder, and i am paying him since he has experience in this field. I am an attorney, when people have legal issues they come to me and pay me, since i am an expert in law, not all law just certain sections of law. this motor builder probably knows nothing about that motor thats in 2009 bmw m3, im surehe could figure it out, but he is used to working on older engines.

Well Don i wish you the best, because in the end of the day we have 85 good years on this earth and it goes fast and its not cool, if guys who like the same thing cant get along, FOR 2010 I HAVE A NEW MOTO NO FIGHTING JUST TALKING ABOUT CLASSIC MOPAR, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE. AND WE SHOULD CONTINUE ON THIS GOOD PATH IN MEMORY OF NORM.

on a side note, im not a drinker at all, i hate alcohol, im a coca cola man, and dr browns blackcherry, gatorade, lastweek i was at a bar in nyc, and the waitress said to me after i ordered chickend fingers, and a coke, chicken noodle soup with crackers, AND she said what are you 12? so thats my story of the week, she had bigger balls then i did.

Edited by michael.warshaw

That's that legendary New York hospitality. She'd be a runner-up in the New York's Nastiest Waitress contest.

You should have thrown your Coke in her face. Or at least hit her with a chicken finger.

i like that joe, it was funny casue i think she liked me because on the check she wrote here number, but she looked like mister ed.

I once asker for some pink lemonade in a Chinese restaurant in cheyenne Wyoming. The waitress said "We don't have that. Only little girls drink that". I trusted that is was in good fun and we all had a good laugh about it. We were snowed in at a hotel there and decided to return the next day for lunch. She did remember us and we had a good time chuckling about her.

in ny, alot of the waitress are acttresses and film people, and wanna be stars, so alot of them are attractive, it some time hard to focus on what your eating, thats why for luch i ussually go to the coffe shop, where there is just a older greek man cooking so i can enjoymy food. i would say in soho which is downtown nyc, driving is dangerous there becasue every 5 feet is a model, its almost like beverly hills, very fancy yuppy neighborhood, you know this when the cheapest shoe store in a 5 block radious is 300 for a pair vs. 550 600. im happywith my new blance when im not working, then you go 4 blocks sounth then you hit cancal street which is notorious for all the fake counterfit good,s like pockets books and watches.

http://wirednewyork.com/manhattan/soho/soho_morning.jpg

http://www.boldts.net/album/USA-New-York-SOHO.shtml

here is the mayor trying to shut it down.

http://www.counterfeitchic.com/Images/Bloomberg_CanalSt_raid_2-26-08_NYTimes.jpg

I think some of you guys are pretty thin skinned and I would advise you to stay out of the International Rotary. I was in it for 10 years and every meeting there were insults thrown at and by everyone. It was a mark of maturity and masculinity to take it all in stride and not to lose your composure. 3 years after joining they made me president mostly because they could not rattle me with their jabs. Doonesbury comic strip even did a whole Sunday strip on how brutal the Rotarians were to each other.

Anyway I am glad you all talked things out with any swearing or gun play and I hope well all stay as contributing members.

Yes I have 3 of each. If 24 is just right that would make the poem 15 to young 36 to old 24 just right. And if you can remember that then 153624 should be the firing order of any inline 6 you care to work on.

Awesome! thanks ED! I like that poem,

I personally would have know that 15 is too young, but in no way, I can agree that 36 is too old! I refuse to belive that. :D

PM me with a price for the lugnuts, I need them asap. I can paypal you the money. You guys wouldnt believe how hard it is to find parts in this area....I have seen a fellow looking for a intake and exhaust for a 25 inch big block engine for almost a month and no luck. I sent him this way. hopefully he can post what he needs here...

I will also be posting some dumb questions later on this week.:eek:

Actually, I do a lot the same as Michael.....I've never learned to do the "big" mechanical stuff,

so if I want my engine rebuilt, I take it to someone with experience. On the

brown coupe the tree fell on - it had no engine when I got it and the brakes needed

to be re-done. I went out and bought a motor and gathered up all the engine and

brake parts, then paid a mechanic I know and trust to install them. And he did a good job.

I try to make what money I have go as far as I can in the process.

At the same time, although he did the work, I at least knew what was

needed and where to find it. I can do "smaller" jobs on the car like

replace the starter or generator or other things that don't require as

much knowledge and talent.

My enjoyment is more from having the car and being able to drive it

and go to occasional shows and cruise-ins.....than from doing the

work. However, I have learned many things on this forum about my

car, and appreciate the knowledge and friendliness of the folks here.

Have met a few of them in person, including Don and Norm - always

an enjoyable experience.

So I guess whatever approach one takes to these old cars and their

repairs, there's room for them all. I hope everybody continues to

get along here and sailing will be smoother in the future.

Thanks Dezeldoc. I felt like I was back at my Rotary Club meeting. Yours was a little mild but it still brought a sentimental tear to my eye. Feel free at anytime. In fact I can not think of any topic that is off limits. But be prepared for a lively retort. I usually let someone get in a few good jabs then throw a hay maker. Revenge IS best served cold. Always was a counter puncher. Friendly Frank

Thanks Dezeldoc. I felt like I was back at my Rotary Club meeting. Yours was a little mild but it still brought a sentimental tear to my eye. Feel free at anytime. In fact I can not think of any topic that is off limits. But be prepared for a lively retort. I usually let someone get in a few good jabs then throw a hay maker. Revenge IS best served cold. Always was a counter puncher. Friendly Frank

Your welcome! Had to keep it family friendly!!;):D

I am reminded of working in Minnesota at a slaughterhouse working the production line in quality control. We had a new kid move to Minnesota from California. I was early September and he started asking about snow and ice, and how much he was looking forward to experiencing a Minnesota winter. We cut the kid a little slack since he was from southern California and was unfamiliar with snow and ice. I will not regale y'all w/ all of my Eric-stories, but I will share one that may explain why some may appear to be bullies, and others toadies.

Eric asked us after Labour Day about the "HEET stuff you put in the gas." He thought snow was on its way any day now. Minnesota had had mandatory 10% ethanol in all gasolene for a few years by that time. He asked several people about the "HEET stuff you put in the gas." At first we told him that it wasn't really necessary as it was already in gasolene, and none of us could recall a time that we or any one we knew had had a frozen fuel line since Minnesota began mandating 10% ethanol in gasolene.

When Eric made the second round of asking about the "HEET stuff you put in the gas." We prefaced with a phrase that it wasn't really necessary, but if it would give him peace of mind, it was isopropanol available at any gasolene station, auto parts store, or discount store. It came in a red (or yellow) bottle and by asking for "HEET" any one working at these places (gasolene station, auto parts store, K-Mart, ShopKo, Wal-Mart, etc.) could show him where the HEET was. Add a bottle every time one fuels up and never worry about fuel line freeze-up. Directions were right on the bottle w/ an explanation of its efficacy.

Eric then made another round asking every one he worked with about the "HEET stuff you put in the gas." All of us told him what it was, where to get it, etc. He still kept asking about the "HEET stuff you put in the gas." After having been asked personally about three times and knowing that he had asked about the "HEET stuff you put in the gas" at least three dozen times and getting consistent honest answers, we finally had had enough.

We told Eric that he needed to buy an electric heat-wrap from the hardware store, crawl under his car, wrap the heat-wrap around the fuel line, then to buy an electric heating pad from the drug store and strap that to the bottom of the fuel tank, get an electric blanket from the discount store and put that in his trunk (boot), get an orange three outlet extension cord, run that out to his car, and then plug all three of these items into it.

This Eric started doing by the middle of September until the beginning of October when the temperatures dropped below 50*F and he complained about how it was too cold for him to bother plugging in his car at night.

Does this parable sound familiar to any one, and why it may cause frustration? Nothing wrong with asking dumb questions as I am probably the least mechanically inclined person on this forum, but how many times can the same question be asked by the same person before kind, compassionate, sympathetic, knowledgeable people finally get upset?