OT---Has Anyone Sold Anything Online Recently?

JerseyHarold

In my snail-like way, I'm trying to sell off all sorts of car stuff I've accumulated since I was a kid. This is becoming more of a necessity because in a couple of years we'll be selling the house we're in and getting something smaller.

What I've done lately is target-market the free classifieds on various automotive websites, so I'm posting items for a particular make on the websites that cater to that make. I'm trying to avoid the eBay circus if I can.

The results so far have been very disappointing. Not even a question or photo request. Is this happening to others as well, or am I just lucky?

Ive been doing fairly well on ebay. I know you said you are trying to avoid it but it does work. Yes the fees suck but you do get very good exposure to buyers. And lately they started 5 free listings every 30 days. I save the bigger items for a freebie.

I recently sold a small boat on Craigslist. No fees, but it's a more localized market. The boat sold in just a couple weeks. Different from ebay, since it's not an auction, you fix your asking price and go from there. There is a separate program called Crazed list that allows buyers to search many local lists at once.

just the opposite here with Craiglist...I have tried twice to get to see a car and the seller has not kept the appointed time...so..after the second go around I figure I would just let the car pass...its not like I don't have enough to do already...
Ditto here....I e-mailed, called, and chased a guy that had a 46 Nash coupe for sale for weeks, after he was always going to get back to me and let me know when I could see it. I didn't understand why he would list, then get a good solid lead, and then not be available to show the car to someone so interested. I finally got to see the car, and it was about 1/10th of what he had represented it. Never figured out just how he ever thought he would have been able to pass it off, other than perhaps he was trying to sell it sight unseen to someone. Joel

I sell mostly on ebay but it depends on what you are selling parts move pretty quick unless overpriced, manuals and brochures not as quick as there is a lot competition from repros and cd items. Vehicles and heavy parts mostly depend on local buyers as the shipping can be more then the part. I do have some ads on targeted free sights but most of my action is still on ebay.

I have seen some adds on craigslist with very little info and no pictures just one sentence ad like "for sale blah blah call this number for more info and pictures" If you get all the details and pictures on the add and you have a realistic price and are willing to negotiate you should be good.

another way is to go the ebay route. It works and it is a proven method to get as much as you can for an item...I see things listed for 1 dollar go up real quick so you can sell it to the highest bidder!

post an item. someone here may want to bid

I've listed a '68 Olds wheelcover, 1996 Mobil Collectible Toy truck, and a Saturn radio so far. Next on the hit parade is a '53-4 Dodge backup light and a 1970 Maverick/Fairlane /Torino AM radio. Here's a link to my seller page:

http://shop.ebay.com/lessmess/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_sop=1

I wonder how the old wheel covers do. I have a dozen or so various ones that were in the trunk of the 55 dodge I bought. I should post pictures of them for identifing.

I haven't had much success in the past couple of years with wheelcovers. Before then, I sold a few here and there. Lately people seem to want only perfect ones; the 'driver-quality' caps with a few minor blemishes are hard to sell.

I have a friend who has been selling hubcaps for well over 30 years who has literally thousands of them (including rare and NOS ones) all cataloged and ready to go, but sales have slowed to a crawl.

There are one or two good hubcap websites with pictures so ID-ing yours shouldn't be too difficult. If you post some photos the forum folks here will probably figure out most or all of them for you.