Rear bumper bar.

48P15Annie

Hello fellas,

I'm on a wild goose hunt for a rear bumper bar for my 48. She has a front bar, but needs a rear. Anybody have any leads?

Our 48 Plymouth belonged to my grandfather, who passed away in October(he bought the car in June 2006). He loved that car, and loved "dress up" accessories. When he got the car, he added a sun visor, front bumper bar, flare out tail pipe extension, dual side view mirrors & amber fog lights. The only part he couldn't find was a rear bumper bar. I did at one point find one(on a coupe) but it ended up being a FRONT bar for a D24. It fit the P15, but the trunk did not open, due to the incorrect bends to clear the trunk lid. Would have been nice to know that before the purchase & re chroming of this incorrect part. So, that is why I am searching for a correct P15 rear bumper bar. If anyone can help me out as to where to find one, it would be much appreciated. I have looked on eBay, with no success.

This is the animal I am looking for:

!BhlICH!Bmk~$(KGrHqUOKiMErzIvY1JlBLJw+t4R8w~~_12.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Kyle

48 P-15 ("Miss Annie")

Edited by 48P15Annie

Hi Kyle,

I have the rear bumper from a Canadian D25 which is the same as the Plymouth P15 you have but has some Dodge trim. The bumpers are identical and in fact I have a Plymouth bumper on my own Dodge. I have a parts car that has a rear bumper and have attached a picture or two. PM me if interested and we can go from there. I know I can UPS it but I do not know where you live (maybe fill in the profile). Shipping from Canada is easy and I have done it lots of time. Private Message (PM) or email me if interested and we can go from there. The bumper is still on the car and may take me a week or two to get out there and pull it as it is cold and snowy here right now but is supposed to warm up shortly. I don't recall any major damage to it but it would need rechroming for a show car but would be OK for a driver. I can send pictures once it is removed.

DSCN5140.jpg

DSCN5141.jpg

Hey Greg,

Parts car is just that. It looks a lot better than it is. It has some major damage just infront of the driver's door and lots of rot. Mice have been living in it for the last 10 years. I would spend more on it than I spent on my '38 Chrysler and have a car worth half as much. I have already sold most of the trim off it and all the stuff out of the dash. I kept the radiator for myself and a few other trim pieces as well. Next spring, I will part out the mechanicals including the modern style driveshaft as mentioned before on the forum (see first picture). That is my car and the one on the parts car is the same. It is factory and common on Canadian D25's and P15's although both my '38 and '53 have the ball and trunnion.

Regarding the other stuff, none of it is mine, nor is the property. He has some really interesting stuff including three Studebaker parts trucks and has a fully restored one as well. I think a couple of the parts trucks show in the second and third pictures. I think the black car is a Mustang II and he has some Caddy stuff, Lincoln stuff, lots of stuff.

Merry Christmas,

Robert

DSCN5357.jpg

DSCN5135.jpg

DSCN5136.jpg

Kyle, great that you became the new owner of your Grandpa's car.

Yes, it is. That car meant a lot to him. Before his death, the only thing he was worried about was that Miss Annie was taken care of. So, it mean a lot to me that we could keep it for him. From where he bought the car, to where we live, it was a 6 hour drive, and I rode home with him in it :cool:

Thanks for the reply, Robert.

I don't need the entire bumper. I just need the decorative bar that goes between the bumper guards, just like in the picture I included in my original post.

Gotcha. My mistake in reading. Good luck with the search!

Norm, I will keep my eyes peeled as a lot of the old chrome up here is still in OK shape.

That would be great. I think a 53 or 54 would do for me, and although the wagon rear bumper is different I'd even go for a sedan bumper.

48P15Annie, sorry to pirate your thread. As you probably saw from older posts, we wander sometimes.

Edited by Normspeed

Most of those items were after market or dealer installed accessories, and were sacrificial in nature, plus not being very stoutley made. So it would seem that they would be rather hard to find. I would thing that you would would need to make the rounds at swap meets to find someething of that sort.

Good luck.

... the picture of one you posted is the first rear bumper bar I have ever seen. It may well be that this person fabricated it themself. Shouldn't be that difficult. If it's not something you or a friend can do, I would suggest you visit a shop that makes custom motorcycle exhaust pipes. They can quickly create just about any shape you like; then, either have them chrome it or send it out yourself. Not gonna be cheap, but I doubt you'll find one for sale. If you do, you can bet they'll be charging a small fortune for something so rare and it will probably need chroming too.

Best of luck!

6-8 P-15's at the yard that I used to visit. None had the bumper bar. Apparently not that common from the lack of offers.

Do I recall someone posting about fabricating one in a previous thread? Should just be a few simple bends for someone with the talent to do bending work. Then send it to be chromed.

GREG:

I know they were aftermarket & dealer parts. Probably why they're aren't many around. I even had a hard time finding the front bumper bar.

DAVID:

I have seen a handful with a rear bar, like I pictured. I got that picture from an eBay auction, and that was the second car(both 4-doors) that have come across eBay in the past couple of weeks with it.

--

I do plan on hitting some swap meets in hopes of finding one, or finding someone that can point me in right the direction to find one. I do not want to get one custom bent. The bends would have to be very precise, or they trunk would not open. I would rather take my time, to find an original, test fit it, and get it chromed.

Robert, wouldn't that Dodge hood fit a P15???

DSCN5136.jpg

Absolutely. It is still on the car but the side trim, hood ornament, and nose crest are all gone. Only trim still on it is the centre trim which I plan on removing shortly. Hood is good and solid with only a couple of little flaws here and there but easily fixed. If memory serves me correctly, I believe it has the brace underneath as well.

Absolutely. It is still on the car but the side trim, hood ornament, and nose crest are all gone. Only trim still on it is the centre trim which I plan on removing shortly. Hood is good and solid with only a couple of little flaws here and there but easily fixed. If memory serves me correctly, I believe it has the brace underneath as well.

Are you interested in selling the brace? If so, please PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
Took Me quite awhile to find mine. Just be patient. I like the looks too, but it is a knuckle buster when opening the trunk.

Kevin, would you happen to have a picture or two of your car with the rear bar on it? I would like to have a few pictures on file to show what I am looking for. Either online, or print and take to a swap meet. Thanks!