Metal garage/shop buildings

Normspeed

I am in the process of completeing my "man cave" 30 x 48 X 13" 18 foot front, one man door and 10 foot rear door with a 10 x15 concrete pad. Lighting I put in 8 of the 8 foot dual bulb flor, 200 amp service, concrete floor with vapor barrier, just put in a wood stove for heat. Mine is a "pole barn" style, metal sides and roof, with insulation. Since it is out in the country, no building codes to deal with. Doing a lot of the work myself we built it for less than 20K. I paid for it as I went over the past year, I am sure you can find an out of work or under worked construction crew or individual. Get for ready for this. My total labor cost was only $3,000. I paid for all of the materials, my concrete floor, vapor barrier, steel, smooth finish, stress cuts was only $3000.00 Good Luck, PS it is already too small, 1 47 Sedan, 1 49 Coupe, 1 48 Dodge, 1 67 Massey Ferguson tractor, golf cart, riding lawnmower and my 02 Ford Pickup

I don't think it's possible to construct a building that is "too big". I'd venture to say that for most of us on this forum, if we built a garage the size of a football field, we'd eventually fill it up with projects, and then grumble that we should have built it bigger.:eek:

Something to consider. Most of us put lights at the ceiling which is good for general work. I have florescents with difusers mounted at waist hight on the garage walls. This helps when working on stuff closer to the floor and make it easier to spot the socket that always falls under the vehicle and makes noise like it is going toward the door, when in reality it is snuggling in the dark space between the far side semi delfated tire and the pile of rust from body work you swept there to keep it safe. That being the cas once you see it don't try to retrieve it using your magetic pick up thingy.

I have a cousin who was in the concrete business for a while and when he had his floor poured in 74 he added a dye to the mix, a very light grey. Makes it look nice but also reflects some light to make it easier on his "elderly" eyes!!!

He also spec-ed out the same concrete that's used in parkades (yes, overkill) and there is still not even a hint of a crack.

No poly, but a layer of 4 inch styrofoam over 3/4 road gravel, and a 6 foot footing all around. (Edmonton, Alberta...it gets cold!)

Greg, it's eerie...I went out to my present garage with a flashlight just now, looked in that dark space, exactly as you described, and sure enough, there was that socket I swept away for safe keeping a few months ago.

Amazing how much I've learned from all your suggestions. It really makes me less apprehensive about the project. Knowledge is a great thing.