Front windshield......

BobT-47P15

Bob you guys are probably better off to have new stuff cut. I think everything but the convert will give you a pattern.

I agree, make patterns, and get new glass cut, I have this in my car too. I have a slighlty tinted glass for my front glass........................Fred

A lot of the old glass shops still have patterns for these old cars. There is a place like this in Lethbridge where I live. However, at this point I have the front glass out of my car (Dodge D25 so window is the same as a P15) as it is being painted. I could trace a pattern and mail it to you if you would like. Take the pattern to any decent glass shop and they will cut it easily as one is the flip of the other. If interested, shoot me a PM.

OK......here's another question regarding windshields.......when you purchase new rubber

gasket, is the piece that runs down the middle (and is covered by the chrome strip)

made as part of the thing, or is it a separate piece?

Depends on where you buy from. If you spend the big bucks from steele its one piece. The generic stuff from Burnbaum that came with my car was 2 pieces. I still have that laying around I never installed it.

Just wondering......does anyone have a good pair of windshield glasses

for a 48 Plymouth coupe? Could use a pair for the brown coupe....both

halves were broken when the top got "shortened".

100_3633.jpg

Bob;

I cant help you out on the glass but you should never set a coffee cup on the fender. It might scratch the paint:rolleyes:

The reason I asked is becuse I have the center chrome strip from the coupe.....

with a piece of rubber still sandwiched between it and the inside strip that holds

the rear view mirror. I appears that the center piece has been broken off from the

outer part at each end. Guess that was what happened. Thanks for the replies.

Ed' date='

I believe when I called to order mine, Steele said the windshield rubber that was all one piece was for cars without the stainless trim. Those with the stainless trim was two piece. One for around the windshield and one for just the center bar.[/quote']

Norm, Young Ed is right on this one. I just went out to the garage and looked at the front windshield gasket I got from Steele. It is the one for taking the stainless trim moulding and it is all one piece with the centre bar as part of the gasket, not separate. I paid a little more than Ed did but he got his a few years ago. You can order one without the centre bar gasket but that is for people who remove the center bar and have the two pieces of glass abut each other and seal with clear silicone or such. Very common amongst hotrodders.

Norm, Young Ed is right on this one. I just went out to the garage and looked at the front windshield gasket I got from Steele. It is the one for taking the stainless trim moulding and it is all one piece with the centre bar as part of the gasket, not separate. I paid a little more than Ed did but he got his a few years ago. You can order one without the centre bar gasket but that is for people who remove the center bar and have the two pieces of glass abut each other and seal with clear silicone or such. Very common amongst hotrodders.

Robert,

All I know is that I was told to buy the one piece for the center bar when I called to order it. That part was leaking a couple of years ago on my coupe. They sold me just the center section. I have the stainless trim. When I received it, it was too long, so I called them back to question them again. Got the same answer as before, with the added comment that they were made that way for different models and needed trimming off. On the back side (part facing into the car) the holes are perforated for the screw holes that hold the two center bars together, and the were spaced exactly where they needed to be. When I took the center bar off my coupe, the one on it was also a separate piece. So........what was on my coupe was also a two piece gasket. In fact, once I removed the center bar to replace the gasket, I noticed it was just leaking around the screws that hold the two together. So........to expedite the job, I simply added some black gasket sealer around the holes and put the center bar back on, and never took the rubber out. That plus, was afraid I'd break the windshield getting it out. So, my original two piece gasket is still there. The new one is still in the plastic wrapper it came in, since I stopped the leak.

So, based on my experience the gaskets were two piece too. At least mine was/is.

• Thanks 1