Old Plymouth in movies

Normspeed

Today I watched an old Christmas favorite of mine, Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby. At the movie's start there is horse drawn transportation from the train station to the Inn. Later, the taxi guy upgrades to a modern method. A brand new 1942 Plymouth Woodie wagon. Must be a pretty rare car. The grille is so distinctive it's hard to miss. Unfortunately, as a part of the plot, he later drives it into a small pond. :( Even later, there is a beautiful 39 Plymouth convertible, that gets driven into the same pond. :(:(. Too bad about the New England car wash, but the cars look terrific in their like-new condition in the movie.

Edited by Normspeed

It is too bad that cars like that were damaged in filmaking. I guess that their future value was not realized. Another film titled "Tobacco Road" made in 1941 features a brand new Ford convertible that gets ruined. There is also a '37 DeSoto 4 door convertible but that is treated well.

John R

In todays movies animals are treated different than they were back then. I'll bet in todays movies the cars are not torn up and wrecked as they were back then. With computers doing all that they can, cars can be made to look torn up or whatever you want them to look like.

TCM featured Bogart this month and you know how he was always teamed with Plymouths.I had a great time looking at and guessing the years of the cars in his movies. I agree they did not treat cars with alot of tenderness in the movies back then. We must understand They were not old cars then and were plentiful. I saw a movie a couple a months ago that featured a guy that was theating to jump off a building in New york. There were so many old cars that I was in heaven.

Well, at least in this movie, the drive into the pond was at low speed, and the driver of the Woodie was able to wade up front to open the hood on his un-submerged motor. I suppose this was a big-budget movie for its time, with Bing as well as Fred Astaire in starring roles, so a couple of Plymouths were probably considered expendable. I'm guessing they were dried out and went on to live long and useful lives. (the cars, not the actors).

Yesterday I watched "Rebel Without A Cause" starring James Dean. In this movie I did not see any old Mopars but I did see a 46 or so Ford and a 46 or so Chevy tumble off a cliff.

Earlier this week wife Lisa was at the club (Sams) and called me to tell me that they had several inexpensive DVD's on sale. She read off a few titles including "Planet Of The Apes". I told her that I did not think that was one of her favorite movies but to buy whatever she wanted so she bought it along with several others. We watched it yesterday and she seemed sort of bored while it was playing. At the end she fessed up that seeing a monkey on the cover she thought she was buying "King Kong" not "Planet of the Apes":D

Back then they weren't old cars. They were just one more of thousands that were available and replaceable. If you're talking about old cars being destroyed in today's films, yeah, I think that's criminal.

How many Mopar cop cars were destroyed in "The Blues Brothers" one of my favorite movies?

I think over 100 according to the dvd jacket. Even more destroyed in the original gone in 60 seconds. Way better car wise then the new one. The new one is better for plot and acting

I know we went over this last Christmas but in The Bishop's Wife Cary Grant is almost run over by a '47 Desoto Custom just like mine. And the taxi used later in the movie is also a Desoto. Same thing in Holiday Affair with Bob Mitchem. '47 or '48 Desoto Custom. I see a lot of Desoto Custom's used as taxi's in old movies.

I watched walk the line last night (very good) and there is a scene where you see the big butt of a 1950 plymouth business coupe sticking out of a garage. Alot of 50's cars during the movie.

OK movie, but Joaquin Phoenix is a real wierdo in my book. Ever see him on the Letterman show when he gave nothing but one syllable answers? At the end of ther interview Letterman thanked him for coming to the show and chewing gum through the whole appearance. I think he has some hostility issues:p

Rodney, I think the most reliable way to get rid of the wife is to move out. Just ask Scott Peterson. Remember "Psycho," when Anthony Perkins rolls the car into the swamp with Janet Leigh inside? There was a tense moment when it looked like it wasn't going to go all the way under.

Actually there are fifty ways.

You just slip out the back, Jack