Exhaust pipe to manifold gasket

Joe Flanagan

I'm assuming this gasket (where the pipe joins the manifold) is one of those thick asbestos-like things. When I rebuilt my engine, I got a gasket kit from Vintage Power Wagons that included a gasket that looks like it is intended for the exhaust pipe at the manifold but it seems way too thin for that purpose. Seems more like the thick paper kind. I'm assuming this isn't the gasket but it is the exact correct shape.

I think thats all you get now. Does it look like it has some reinforced metal fibers in it? I think thats why Dad always insists the flange is welded onto the exhaust pipe.

Joe,

After I removed my manifolds to repair the heat control, I couldn't get my exhaust pipe to pull up tight to the manifold. I ended up using one of those exhaust doughnut gasket rings to seal the connection. The original gasket I had was a flat thin one.

Jim Yergin

on these style flanges.. place a metal insert that will just enter into the manifold oulet and match the exhaust pipe also, this will provide a path for the exhaust gases and also protects the gasket allowing it to do its job with less possibility of burnout..

I think thats the same reason Dad insists on a welded flange. Instead of just having a rolled edge for the flange it should be welded on a little ways down the pipe so there is a piece left to stick up into the manifold.

Joe,

When I bought mine, I ended up buying three different ones from the auto parts store that looked right. When I got them home one of them did fit. Still have the other two hanging on the wall. Been there since about 1995 or 96. Guess I could have returned them back then, but it wasn't worth another trip at the time, so kept them.