gas tank straps

michael.warshaw

Go to the auto parts store and buy some brand new "universal gas tank straps". When you get them home, remove the fittings on your old straps and put them on the new straps. You may have to cut the new straps to the proper length first, and bend them prior to cutting. Now, you have brand new gas tank straps that look and work just like the originals.

im not taking sides here but....

every family's got a red head step child, and the way you ,micheal, get treated around here shows you are it around here. my momma would slap some manners into me if did some of the things i see happening here.

I cant say he got treated poorly on this thread. Maybe on others. He got 2 sources for universal gas tank straps which to my knowledge is all thats available other then sourcing good used ones from a parts car. There is a vendor in the POC that does repro the barrel nuts though.

im not taking sides here but....

every family's got a red head step child, and the way you ,micheal, get treated around here shows you are it around here. my momma would slap some manners into me if did some of the things i see happening here.

your right most people on the boards here are rude and obnoxious, some are cool, but alot suck and everyone i speak to off the forum says the same thing to me, its just away of life heere on p15, but thats life! Here is NY, THERE IS NO TALKING WHEN 2 PEOPLE DONT LIKE EACHOTHER, THERE IS JUST SWINGING, BEING 6 FOOT 7" AND 265 LBS IM NOT WORRIED!

Edited by michael.warshaw

Michael with that post Id say you are rude and obnoxious. No one else uses fowl language here. Take that to the hamb. You'll fit right in there.

Edit: I see you edited your post. Thanks for doing that.

Going back to what Norm said, the universal gas tank straps are indistinguishable from the originals. They should work for you. Getting the old ones out can be a problem. The bolts that go through the bottom of the trunk and hold the straps are very unusual and hard to find. Of course, they tend to snap when you're trying to remove them. There is also a special anchor type device on the other end that goes into a slot and locks there. Here are some pics of when I replaced mine. The kind of straps I used are not like the originals.

On the left is the bolt that goes through the trunk. On the right is the hook that goes on the opposite end of the gas tank strap. I welded mine on to the new straps.

IMG_0022.jpg

Here's a better view of the hook end of the strap:

IMG_0023.jpg

These are the bolts welded to the strap ends:

006.jpg

These are the hooks welded on:

004.jpg

Here's what it looks like finished:

BBReferenceTankBrakeLines037.jpg

it seems only one person found Don's advice offensive..I saw absolutely nothing wrong in it..plus with the hyperlink all you had to do was just click..he even saved eveyone from having to type in the search..other than sending a set out in the mail..it was the best he could do...

i wasnt saying it was offensive... i was just commenting on how micheal is responded to around here. that link wasnt realy that helpful, the comment about only 2 sources was much more useful, and the pictures illistrate everything nicely. the google link was not really that informative, but if i want a gas strap for a 95 plymouth i know now where to look now.

it seems like a waste of time to put something like that one here.

Michael

On several occasions I have watched various threads in which you have participated degenerate into "shouting matches". I will remind you of your quote it I think August of 09

I'm not using the forum, to discuss them, their being sold in another medium if you have a question i will gladly answer it, in that medium. I'm not trying to bring business IN the p15 website, I'm trying to interact with fellow owners.

If interacting with fellow members is telling them to go F++themselves and calling them other names is interacting I really don't care to have any part of it.

there are or have been a lot of things said in what I presume to be anger- this is the best reason in the world to stay on topic and not get personalties involved over principals. What principal you say? Well how about remembering we are here to exchange information about cars not our personnel lives where we might eat the cost of goods sold etc.

I think you all should step back and as yourselves is this worth arguing about and cussing each other out? Personally it disgusts me .

Some of you might have noticed over the last few years I just about quit contributing to threads- can you guess why??

think it over is it worth while the bickering? Is it productive? How do you feel when you have told someone off- better or mad- this applies to all of us.

Do you want to be right or Happy- If you are criticizing or cussing someone out you ain't gonna be both - you can be right but not happy .

All of us should Just consider it befroe we shoot o our words.

Lou

it seems only one person found Don's advice offensive..I saw absolutely nothing wrong in it..plus with the hyperlink all you had to do was just click..he even saved eveyone from having to type in the search..other than sending a set out in the mail..it was the best he could do...

Guess I would have been better off to make 2870 posts with one link each:D

So much for trying to help someone find parts.

Of interest the google link contained several references back to this forum including this link posted below.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=18902

They are simple to make, 18ga cold rolled flat stock, cut to width and length, attach your old ends if still good, if not they are easy to make also. If you want an exact set mike send me yours and i will make you a set.

BEING 6 FOOT 7" AND 265 LBS IM NOT WORRIED: You got me by 3" but i got you by 40lbs!

The tank straps are made by Rockvalley. I am not sure their straps will fit the factory tanks. They are made for their replacement tanks which are rounder than the originals.

I had to buy a new tank for my New Yorker, and their straps just barely fit their own tank. The kicker was that the bolt on the end of their straps have standard threads, and the originals are fine thread. So, if you can use your original bolts on a home-made replacement that would be the best option.

Hope this helps.

The bolts twisted off both of my straps when I removed them. I took some heat to the nuts and was able to to remove the stubs with vice grips. Then I ran a fine thread tap through each nut to clean the threads. I bought 2 hardened steel 3/8" bolts (I don't think hardend steel is as prone to rust), about 3" long. I plan to cut the heads, heat the ends and flatten them like the original bolts were, then rivet the new bolts onto the old straps.

Now that winter is here, I most liklely won't be getting the tank back on until spring.