WWII staff car pics

Lou Earle

• 3 years later...

Hey, just saw this blog and working on a '42 P14C I picked up last year to be a staff car as a member of the Living History Corps of the National WWII Museum here in New Orleans.  This is my 3rd project and I made the mistake of painting my first project- a '42 Harley WLA with Krylon OD paint.  First, it's incorrect and too dark and second, you'll regret it when somebody points it out or you see others.  I'm painting it part by part to correct color now as I work in it.  Most MV owners I know use RAPCO paints out of TX (see google) that make both ennamel can and aresol paints in the correct colors- 40-43 early war and 44-45 late war (more lighter pea green).  Also there's several back issues of the Plymouth Ownners Club's Plymouth Bulletin magazine that have great staff car info.  Their website has the back issues for sale or on DVD and think the one from '92 is the best.  Has a picture of Admiral Nimitz getting out of a P14 on Saipan after its capture.   They also state that the War Department only ordered '41s to a production standard (blackout lights) and the '42s were "impressed" into service from civilian stock.  Any info on these is scarce- not much out there.  I have a '45 Willys MB and TONS of literature on jeeps but then they pretty much replaced the staff cars of the early war by the hundreds of thousands...

Attached is a pix of a '41 Plym staff car i found sitting in a field in Montana in about 2005.. The car appeared to be a DeLux 4dr sdn, all of the bright metal was painted over with OD paint.. The car had all of the correct government contract number plates attached to the dash. The car was pretty well complete, in need of a complete restoration....post-2999-0-84424300-1365783527_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

@Brandon S 

Hey there, would live to see some photos of your P14C! I have one also and have created a facebook group just for these rare beauties. Come join here https://www.facebook.com/groups/496566131163408/ Hope to see you and anyone else with one

Edited by Rustydodge46

I participate in the June WWII reenactment weekend at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in reading Pa. This is one of the largest reenactment events on the east coast.  They have a lot of wwII staff cars on display.  go to www.mtaam.org and then select the picture for the WWII weekend event.

I show my 39 desoto every year.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com