Engine is Installed--Part II

Joe Flanagan

Some more pictures. Here is my neighbor helping me out.

EngineInstall139.jpg

The original doofus at work:

EngineInstall142.jpg

I was surprised how smoothly it went. It didn't take any time at all. The only thing is, the bolts that go through the bell housing are too short. My new rubber mounts must be taller than the originals. The bolts don't go all the way through to the bottom and I can't get a nut on from underneath. Just a tad short.

EngineInstall140.jpg

EngineInstall143.jpg

No Mackster, it's all stock. The car is a second series 49 Plymouth. The engine is from a 53. The block was cracked on my original.

ooh ok! thanks Joe, nice work. looks like it went on easy! its time to seat in the car and make engine noises as you will be running around town in no time!!!:)

Good work Joe,Nothing wrong with doing your own thing :) Never mind the neighbours... Today, 04:24 PM.

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

When I first started working on the car everyone was curious, and not exactly in a good way. One guy told me, "That's a black hole." This is a guy who would never think of touching anything on a car, an investment guy who used to work for Bear Stearns. Then not long ago, he was walking by my house and he saw me polishing the hood. He was singing a different tune then. It's not to brag, but some people just can't see beyond the rusting wreck sitting in your garage. I would say most of my neighbors have looked at it with amusement. One guy actually asked me what I was going to have when I was done. He was totally confused. I think a lot of people thought I was just going to try to get it running and then go lurchiing around the neighborhood in it, belching smoke and backfiring. The lady who gave me the car saw it the other day and she was pretty much speechless. The paint really got her.

Thanks, guys, for all the good words. I'll be posting more pics as I go.

Yeah, I bet the lady can't wait:) Her story of the car was very interesting. You have gave the car new life.I can't see you lurking around the area in it. It would draw to much attention. You have done a wonderful job with the car Joe. I know the folks next door love it and are glad to have been there seeing it right before their eyes. In the short time that I have known you, there has been alot of progress. It's to bad we are not in area that stays warm more of the year.