Mopar B&B carb needed

semperfi48

:(Hello everyone, Im an old member who has not been on for sometime. I have been working on and off on my 41 Dodge truck. Has the same engine and carb as my 48 P15. I hit the wall and I'm frustrated and want to cut to the chase........I did the initial start up and it started ok but was running very very rich. I took a break for 4 months and it started but even richer running. another month later and now won't start at all. Im tired of it, I just want a good rebuilt carb or one that I know is good. I rebuilt this carb but Im sure I have the float wrong or the pump travel adjustment wrong or even just didn't get the thing clean enough.......but don't want to mess with it anymore. I really can't get motivated to move forward until the thing runs right. I have done a frame off and I now have a cab on a frame with engine tranny, radiator and gas tank. When I did the initial start up I did take a drive around the hood for a mile or two but lots of black smoke. If I can get it running good I'll keep moving forward......any help out there? Don Coatney out there anymore? Anybody trust and know of a good rebuilder or will part with a good carb? Thanks, Scott "the Marine" I can also be reached at ww2guy@hotmail.com

Hi Scott, all my spares are rough parts carbs, nothing that you could bolt in and go. But, my guess on your black smoke/running rich problem would be possibly a leaky float that is filling with fuel and sinking in the float chamber. You can tell a leaky float by removing it and giving it a shake. You can hear the fuel splashing around inside the leaker.

I see rebuilts on ebay from time to time but they sure get a lot for them.

Before I hit the wall, I checked the float no holes, I adjusted the float level a couple of times and the pump travel.....she won't even start anymore. Take the carb off and look down in the intake manifold and there is fuel 1/8 inch deep puddle in there. Pull the plugs and the front two and rear two are soaked, the two middle are dry? WTF, this is the same engine that ran a month ago but again very rich. The same engine I was able to drive around the block with despite the rich black smoke.

Hey mate, sorry to hear about the messed up carb. Have the same problem with an old moped of mine. At home I have the addy and # of a place that rebuilt my 49 carb before I purchased it. I think the cost for the rebuild was around 120-ish. Anyways, i can prolly get that number for you on Tuesday night if you'd like. In the meantime you can at least look at your truck and think about how pretty it is!:D I used to just sit in my Plymouth behind the steering wheel for like 15 minutes when it was out of commission. :o Pretend driving can be fun, plus its alot safer!:)

Thanks Guys, Be bop 138 on that 52 Chrysler, did it use the standard carter B&B ? I have a later Chrysler but it has two electrical leads on it and I read that it has something to do with the fluid or automatic drive??? How long ago did you bench that carb and do you think it is ok? Tell me about the carter webers for $75.00???? are these new reproduction, should I try one of these?

Reg Evans, that Stromberg looks cool but it say fluid drive??? does the stromberg have any electrical leads on it??? Think it would work in place of my Carter???? if its NOS in the box, think the accelorator pump inside is dried out???

Appreciate all the help I really want to keep moving forward but the truck must run before I go forward....

Don, Thanks, Ill look George up. Nice photo of the Dodge, I would like to post some more in the state it is in.

Still don't know how to post photos anybody want to try to tell me how again???? Thanks everyone.

Here's the info on the carb rebuild co.

Benchwick Carburetor Company, Inc.

Youngstown, OH (330)782-3767

The bill was $135. Good luck with whatever route you go!

P.S. The cheapest source I know of is Santa Clause. You should ask him if he has one. You don't even have to pay for shipping! Although sometimes the deliveries never make it...:(

• 1 month later...

Here is one for the books. Over the past couple of weeks I have been in contact with Scott (the guy who started this thread) Monte (phone calls, e-mail, PM's) many times regarding his truck with a George Asche rebuilt carburetor that would not start. I initially thought he had a timing issue. I walked him through the static timing procedure several times and his engine woulds still not start. A few days ago I got this e-mail from him.

"Ok, Don here you go, got it started but not that easy. It was bad gas but listen to this. I drained the tank put 2 gallons fresh in, drained the pump bowl and manually filled the pump bopwl with fresh and she stareted. I ran it for 45 min and drove it around (by the way that carb is good to go!) then after 45 min strait running while I was tinkering it died. Would not start for anything. All systems good, fuel and spark??? what the hell I figured maybe all the old gas didn't come out of the tank. I pull the tank out turn it upside down make sure it is empty and I get 2 gallons out......remember I only put 2 gallons of fresh in. I then do the same put 4 new gallons of fresh in and swap the fuel pump bowl out and Bam starts right up????"

So the bottom line was he had old gasolene in the tank and it would not ignite. So keep this in mind when trying to start a vehicle that has been sitting for a long time with old gas in the tank. This one sure fooled me.

So the bottom line was he had old gasolene in the tank and it would not ignite. So keep this in mind when trying to start a vehicle that has been sitting for a long time with old gas in the tank. This one sure fooled me.

It was interesting to note during the Desoto Auction sale a couple of years back that the outfit responsible for starting the cars had a portable battery and a portable fuel tank that they connected directly to the input for the carb. All the cars for the auction started except for a few on the back row.

Dennis