which insurance copany do you use?

michael.warshaw

Mike:

The most important part is that you are insuring your car with an Antique Car Specialty company and not using your regular car insurance company. With the specialty compnay that have what is called stated valued and this is the agreed valued that you have put onthe car.

With your regular car insurance company the car is just an old car that they go by blue book value and the car is so old that it is not on the book and is considered a used and old car that has no value.

All of the Specialty car compnaines are good.

I use Grundy but did have Congdon and Skelly a long time ago. JC Tylor is also very good and he is in my backyard per say.

Join the AACA and then attend the Annual Convention In Philadelphia this February. They have a major topic at the convention on this issue every year and it is very imformative.

Call me to discuss 484-431-8157

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Had Hagerty when I built my first car. They are good and would never say otherwise. The only thing I found was that price went up alittle bit every year. Just 25-35$ every year, so I called Grundy. They were $200 cheaper for the stated value as I had with Hagerty, and the prices never changed. So have been with Grundy ever since.

I have Grundy for both my old cars.I had an accident about 1 1/2 yrs. ago that wasn't my fault. Got Grundy involved and they were very helpful in getting my issues resolved. Also, have found them to be very competitive in their pricing. Bob

A forum search netted 322 responses to car insurance. Did you ever think about using the forum search function to answer your questions before you ask them?

How do I search a specific forum or thread?

If you are browsing a forum, you can quickly search for a thread or post within it by clicking on the 'Search this forum' link near the top of the page (it's above the list of threads). You can also search for individual posts within a thread by clicking on the 'Search this Thread' link at the top of any thread view page.

Click on this link to learn more.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_forums_threads_posts

If all anybody ever did was use the search function, then nobody would be able to chat about things. That would be like buying the paper instead of talking to your buddies at work. I understand there is a lot of good info in previous forums but sometimes its nicer to be able to chat about stuff.

Thats just my humble opinion though.

On the topic, I was going to go through Grundy's but it said I couldnt drive my car to work or on errands or on the way to school or anything else. I'm not sure about you guys but if I couldn't drive my car to any of those places, she would stay in the garage most of the year. Is there a company out there that will let you drive your car? I know that Grundy's does not have a limit on annual mileage but it doesn't do any good if you can't drive it anywhere.

I have all my cars insured with State Farm. My P-15 with stated value of $20000 cost me less than $200 a year. Is that in line with other companies?

Not sure. But.........I recently checked with the people I insure my everyday cars for insurance on my coupe. Gave them the same value I have the coupe insured for through JC Taylor. They came back with a quote for about double what I pay JC Taylor per year. So........you may want to check with JC Taylor and the others on your P15. It may cut your rate down about half.

I have had J C Taylor for years. I recently backed my '65 Ford F100 into a tree (dont ask)...anyway, I called the claims dept and they told me to fax in one estimate from the shop of my choice. I did, and three days later I got a check in the mail for the entire amount.

They were really fast, and I would recommend them to anyone. BTW, I just insured my '53 Cranbrook for $57 per year.

I have my PLYWOOD (stated value $26K) and my RED RYDER (stated value $17K) insured with Grundy. Virtually every time I drive them I am either going to get gas for them, get parts, have a mechanic check them out, a car show, a fund raiser, a car wash, returning them to storage, a drive to keep things lubricated and testing all of the systems(maintenance) or something else related to limited usage; all for $314 per year.

GRUNDY as far as i know has always allowed more driving liberties then any other collector insurance company,,ive had condon&skelly,,, to much fine print,,and haggerty also,,,and both were higher by more then double of what i pay at grundy,,

switching to grundy has made it affordable for me to have 2 cars,,

when i first joined grundy,they didnt really want it to be driven to work,,,but any place,,ANY PLACE else was fine,,the others a parade and to a mechanic was about all,,,not even stopping at a diner to eat after the parade,,,if you werent near your car,,they didnt want it out,,,

grundy agreed value,,, your regular car insurance company will not pay agreed value they will prorate what they pay you,,,

grundy now states allowed to drive it to work once in a while and has now included free towing,and some other goodies as far as traveling insurance,, grundy only asks for proof of a daily driver,,to insure that you classic isnt driven daily,,,

and they are insuring new challengers,,and etc as collector cars,,

if you should call grundy ask for CHUCK,,, he is second in command and for some reason has the power to quote a better price then the others,,,

Another thing I found interesting is I have a 47 2 door and a 48 4 door. I called Hagerty and they asked how much I wanted to insure the cars for. Then they had me e-mail pix of both. The 47 is all together but I valued it at about $5,000 - but I don't know if that amount is to replace it or fix it. I don't remember how much it was (under $100).

But my 48 has been restored and I wanted to insure it for $20,000. They didn't have a problem with it but were going to charge over $200. I think I insured it for $10,000. I don't have the information in front of me but I pay about $150 for both cars. (they also have towing)

Don, if your 48 is stolen, burns, etc.....the most they will pay is the 10K.

Bob, I don't insure my coupe for what I think it's worth either, or even the NADA book value. Book value (as far as I'm concerned) is between $10,000 and 12,000 on a driver P15 coupe. But.......I only insure it for $8,000.

The way I look at it is the remainder is like a deductible. Plus, antique insurance is cheap for one primary reason. Insurance companies make the cost cheaper because the risk of loss is less, due to people not driving them as often. So.......I'm assuming the same gamble (risk) as they are and saving even more money on the insurance costs. I only pay about $80 or $84 per year for my coverage that way. If I loose the gamble, I'll still get enough money out of it to buy another coupe that runs and looks halfway decent, if I want to make a do over. Plus, I can buy back the damaged coupe for the salvage cost to use as a parts car.