Colorado Road Trip

randroid

Gents,

JohnnyS mentioned a possible road trip for we Coloradoans in the forum and it sounds like a winner to me, so let me modestly take it one step further; the Estes Park Antique Auto Club (of which I was one time a member) stages a bit of a rally every year around Memorial Day from Estes to Grand Lake. It's to celebrate the annual re-opening of Trail Ridge Road, and they're the first to drive it. If any of you haven't been on that road, it's the highest continuous paved road in the US, attaining an elevation of around 12,200' and the spectacular drive affords a view from withn the Rockies secound to none. (While I must admit that looking 3-4,000' down from a two lane road with no guard rail can be a bit unnerving the first time, if you don't regularly drive off the roads at home there's little cause for concern.)

Many of us, myself included, don't have our rides road-worthy at this time, so if we were to plan on joining that rally we'd have a realistic time-frame around which to work and maybe that inspirational nudge to get ourselves away from our keyboards and out to our garages.

I'll volunteer to do the logistics because I know most of the stuffy old farts who run the rally and still get along with them pretty well.

There are at least a half-dozen of us living within sixty miles of each other and we should get together anyway. What say you, Gents?

-Randy

This sounds like a great idea. Memorial day may be pushing it to get the D-24 road worthy, but I have a 67’ Camaro that would make the trip, not sure what era cars the Estes Park club would allow. I’m sure my dad and I will be down if it doesn’t fall on May 26th because that is the day of my cousins and my nephews high school graduation. Just keep us posted. Thanks

John

I'm interested as well, just need to get a good feel on how well the brakes are working on my 49 before I run her up and down Colorado 34 from Loveland to Grand Lake and back....whew......that could be a real trip. I have other wheels that would make it just fine but they aren't Mopar.

Guest mike_D24

Sounds like a great idea. It gives me something to work towards. If we get enough good weather (and I don't use it all up going for rides on my motorcycles) I'll be working hard. I don't know if I'll make it, but that's great incentive to get the car as safe as possible. That ride is a fun one, indeed. Surprisingly, I actually find those rides to be less scary on a motorcycle. I think it's because there's so much more road, and the focus on staying alive is more prominent. :)

Anyway, thanks for the offer, and I look forward to trying to have a safe, running (maybe even purdy) MoPar by then.

Mike

Speaking of reviewing systems....."Cooling" comes to mind as well when it comes to altitude. Going down its brakes.....going up its cooling.......I wonder how many P15's, D24's and P18's have made that climb and back over the years....probably a bunch.

Gents,

I lived in Estes Park for over twenty years, and every year we'd open our doors to 5-6 million visitors in 100 days, and as much as we disliked loosing our quiet mountain town in the summer we found ways of easing the pain. The smell of burning brakes was and probably still is the foremost highlight of our lives when there are so many people in town that you give yourself half an hour to drive the three miles to work. Trail Ridge Road is, on the logical parts, a 30 mph road for a good reason; that's the fastest it should be driven, and the dozens of times I've circumsized Trail Ridge Road in my '48 P-15 I never once over-heated the brakes. It's a 2nd gear road and should be driven as such, and stop being such flat-land foriegners about the whole situation. Brakes are not a problem on Trail Ridge Road so stop sweating it and watch as you perceive your crossing of the tree-line and emerge onto the tundra, just to go down the other side and do it again in reverse.

(I have been known to go off on a rant, haven't I?)

A few years ago there was a discussion on pressurized radiator caps and I was soundly put in my place by one of our senior members about how zero pressure was what P-15's were designed around and that's how they should be run. I don't remember who chastized me for it and I certainly don't disrespect him for his statement, but he didn't live where water boils at 192 degrees. I've used 4# caps from NAPA for over ten years of driving without a problem, and I suggest that everyone driving to Estes do the same and then keep it on the radiator after they go home. You radiator won't develop any leaks it wasn't already developing.

Whew, I gotta stop here and go back to the garage.

-Randy

Yes, Estes is a neat town. But, as Randroid says it fills up in the summer with a few thousand new neighbors daily. So, its a busy place. The elk herd in town, although a growing problem, is pretty darn neat as well. In one day passing through the park I saw elk, mule deer, and big horn sheep all in the distance of about 2 miles. You can see moose on the west side of the park...sometimes in the interior and mountain goats on the borders. There are mountain lion and black bear there as well. And a wide array of birds and small mammals. Could be a good photo op.....hey Pete....you should come down and make the run with us. We could use your photography skilled and another cool set of wheels.

Yeah, my sister's stories about the elk were pretty funny. One would occasionally walk into the grocery store. One morning she came out on her deck with her coffee turned the corner and was face to face with a bull. Needless to say she slowly went back in and it took a while for her to come back out that day.

As for the 4lb cap, is that going to do make any difference since there is an overflow which would not allow pressure to build? I guess it might depend on the design of the cap if it extends down past the overflow.

There is a pub and micro-brewery in Estes where the elk use to come up to the back door to get something to eat. Seem like they would get some of the used ingredients from the micro-brewery as food.....and a little alcohol too. Ends up that they named a beverage after it all and called it Staggering Elk Ale.......only in Colorado.

• 3 weeks later...

The one and only time I got car sick was riding in a vehicle on THAT road,I think that was it,reallty twisty. Altitude bothers me too being a flat lander. They SAY it only takes a day or so to get your body to adjust,,,mine NEVER did the whole trip, sick in, better out, Whats with altitiude that bothers the body sooooo??? It would be alot prettier drive when NOT sick!! Maybe me driving would 'help' and a bit of Dramamine prior.

I NEVER get car sick but sure did there!! What a kick to see water rushing by in the spring next to the road,,,"UPHILL"!!!:eek: What makes it appear to be backwards in the mountains,,,boy was I screwed up!!! And my directions and tilt are never that in real world country,,,I have never been 'lost' in my life,,,only gently displaced at times!!!

Don,

You got sick because you ran out of oxygen. In Denver, where it's a mile above sea level. there's about 10% less air density. In Estes Park, just half a mile farther up, it's about 32% less dense. I don't know how thin the air is at 12,000' but it isn't much. When people would come into the restaurant and complain about a headache I'd cram carbs down their gullet and in five minutes they'd be fine. Next time you go up there stop for a cinnamon roll and a glass of milk and I'd bet there'd be no more problem.

-Randy

Randy (and others viewing this thread).....I talked to Wayne Krebs last evening. He's current guru/President/Chairman of the Rocky Mtn Chapter of POC. He expressed interest in the Estes Park run as well. Plus Rodger from C/S posted a note a few minutes ago as well. I'm still interested. We need to get that cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll or sandwich in Loveland and talk about this some more. My car will be ready by spring to make that run I'm quite sure.