Distributor Removal

DanOlson

• 10 months later...

Thought I had seen some threads on this topic in previous searches of unrelated stuff... I can't seem to get this distributor out. I'm stripping down a 50 230 to degrease, paint, and put back in service. Searched the forum for tricks or pitfalls...Found Dan's post but even with a good dose of Pb blast and some time - no luck. I can tape off the dist to get the block painted but figured there must be a way to get the dist out. Does the engine need to be #1TDC or some other trick? I'm able to move the plate (w/ bolt out of course) but only with a little hammer persuasion, still it wont come out. Once back together and the Dodge gods willing I'll need some help to set up timing.

There is no trick to it , it should just pull right out . Not only that , but whenever you want to change the points and condenser in the future , the best way is to pull the distributor . The only thing that I can suggest is to keep working it with a good penetrating oil . Perhaps there is some rust .

Small plug from the ignition timing hole above nº 6 piston.

I'll agree with Confusious that "a picture is wortrh a thousand words" but a little explanation (in context of this post about removing a distributor) might help here.

Hank :confused:

P.S. Fernando nice guage. Is it yours? How does it work? What does it do? (measures spark from a hole in the head...?)

No,not is mine.I think it was send me by YoungDad or ....He has a Blue Plymouth.His engine is orange color,is easy to know.Did you read the driver's manual?The gauge is to be sure that the nº 6 piston is in TDC.The hole in the head is to introduce the gauge.When the nº 6 piston is in the TDC(end of exhaust) is the moment to install the distributor.Any question?:D

On my long 25" Desoto engine I cannot remove the distributor unless the engine is near TDC as there is an interference issue with something internal. I believe this is a long block issue only (all engines made in Canada are long block as well as American made Desoto, Crashler, and some large Dodge trucks) and does not apply to the 23" American made Dodge and Plymouth engines.

• 4 weeks later...
On my long 25" Desoto engine I cannot remove the distributor unless the engine is near TDC as there is an interference issue with something internal. I believe this is a long block issue only (all engines made in Canada are long block as well as American made Desoto, Crashler, and some large Dodge trucks) and does not apply to the 23" American made Dodge and Plymouth engines.

the interference is the piston skirts in the #3 and #4 catch the end of the distributor and won't allow it to slide by. ask me how i know this. :o what you really want is for #3 and #4 to be at the top of the block, so the skirts are up in the bores.

that applies to the 25" block, which i have. don't know about the 23" block.