Left Rear Engine Mount (Service Reference Book)

PatS....

Guest Herbert Chambers

I installed motor supports in the 48 Ply business cpe. They were deteriorated badly. I had a difficult time installing the left one because of not being able to raise the engine high enough for the bolt to be inserted easily. Now I have a vibration, most noticable when accelerating. As I recall, the supports came from either Kanter or Roberts Motor Parts. I installed the supports as shown in the Plymouth Repair Manual, but the instructions appeared different than the old one came out. Any suggestions for curing the vibration. Thanks.

I have the same type of problem with my p20 after I rebuilt the engine and installed new mounts. It has a vibration only at idle though. I then ordered mounts from Kanter to see if they were differant and they were about a half of a inch to tall and would not fit and were even harder than the ones that I allready had installed the first time.I think that who ever is making these new mounts are not making them of the right type of rubber.I would like to find some good nos mounts to compare the hardness with. The service book notes that the mounts should be soft and plyable.

I also installed new mounts when I rebuilt the engine in my P15. I bought the mounts from Andy B. Since my old mounts were so bagged out, I really couldn't tell how tall new mounts were supposed to be. When I installed the new mounts the original bolts were too short. I just picked up a couple of longer bolts and put them in. Problem solved, no vibrations.

The new mounts from Andy B were hard rubber too. As far as picking up old NOS mounts to compare hardness, I don't think that would answer the question. 50 year old rubber is not going to be any where near the same as it was new, because rubber dries out after all those years.

Guest Herbert Chambers

Thanks, Norm & KM Reeves for your replies. I don't know what I will do to correct the vibration, but I will wait until the weather gets warmer. It drives OK, but the vibration is annoying and may be hard on the car.

I would put the old one back in but it came apart.

Thanks, Herbert Chambers