hop up parts

48chrysler

I doubt that there was much a a market. The straight 8's have a long a whippy crankshaft and are happiest making llots of torque at low RPMs. If you are looking to do anything you might consider milling the head for more compression, and putting on a less restrictive exhaust system. maybe look at some upgrading of you carburetor.

You might want to contact Earl Egerton (try google) he has run a straight 8 powered car/s at Bonneville,so if anybody knows about what to do it's probably him. He also grinds cams.

cams.

There are folks that will build split exhausts from your stock manifold, and others that can fab up dual carb intakes from your stocker. I believe Moose on this forum does that, as well as George Asche, not on the forum. Stock cam can be reground, head milled, crankshaft balanced.

did or do they make any after market hop up parts for the spitfire 8??...

Yes they did make some speed equipment and here is what I have for my 323ci. 8's. The NOS Mallory is already on my convert. It made a big difference in smoothness and reliability of the straight 8 ignition system!

The intake manifold is an Edmonds.

Bob

I was not aware that Chrysler made a "Spitfire" eight cylinder engine. I know they made a spitfire head for the six cylinder engine.

Sure they did----Top view

About 30yrs ago I found a stash of finned heads for straight 8's at a wrecking yard here in Australia. The yard was Nicks Motors Wreckers in Dandenong, Victoria and the local Oz owners had apparently just imported a heap of speed equipement from the USA after they had purchased a US Speed Shop. As you walked in the door this particular day you were greeted by the sight of maybe 6-8 of the straight 8 finned heads stacked beside the door, can't remember what I was told they were for, but it would have been either Chrysler/Pontiac /Oldsmobile or Packard. I had never seen anything like these in Oz and have no idea whtever happened to these heads. The heads were just part of 1000's of hop up bits, heads, intakes, exhausts, shifters,tailights, Cal Custom chrome bits that Nicks had......the yard closed in the late 80's I'm told......andyd

Chrysler used "Spitfire" as a marketing icon for quite a few years extending to the non hemi poly engines. Think it went away when they introduced the Golden Lion tagging.

His Add on item looks to be a spark plug wire neatener.

My "add on" Spitfire is not that at all. It's the factory installed spark plug wire loom-or as in the parts book it's called a tube assembly. Used on all the 323 eights. I did paint the lightning bolts red which is not factory for 1946 up and who cares! Lightning bolts should be engine color. Same as on the more common Chrysler 250-265's.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Didn't mean it was aftermarket, just added (bolted) on and not cast into the head.

Being this is not the C39 board I just thought I needed to clarify what was original to the straight 8's ! I have several.

Thanks Gregg,

Bob

I was already planning on spliiting the exhaust manifold....when I was at goodguys a few years back there was a straight 8 there with it and it sounded incredible....I was thinking about running straight pipes back but I dont know if it will be too loud...i'm planning on rebuilding the carb over thanksgiving...new wiring....paint...and interior and i will have this thing done...lol:)

There are some good posts about exhaust options in the old stuff, run a search and you'll find more than you probably want:D

One trick I've heard of but never tried, is to run one small diameter straight pipe to the rear, and one with a glasspack. I've heard that some of the guys with the Bombas do that.