plymouth hot rod

hopkins18419

I’m 16 years old and am building a 1947 plymouth coupe hot rod with my father. We had a 350 with a 5 speed and threw it in. I know most of you want mopar in mopar but it was a lot cheaper to rebuild the 318 or the hemi we have. If recently run into a problem. I want to keep the stock steering but my exhaust is having problems clearing. I would rather use headers instead of an exhaust manifold. If any of you veteran hot rodders want to help out a kid building a car I would appreciate it.

Thank you

David

David:

Have you tried the ram horn (older model stock) or maybe some off a 87 or so camaro? I know the one on the camaro discharges to the rear..on the driverside. My son in law has a 87 with tuned port and it discharges in the back...

Another choice would be to modify the headers..

Keep us posted..Good Luck and God Bless US All..John

its a common issue with about any engine modification...if you going to custom the car why skimp on steering and other front end related issue...once into a job of this nature..its close to a snowball efect...plan ahead..execute safely..I personally feel if you gotta ask how in this department..you may be in over your head...

The older model chevy engines, I'm refering to the mid 50's had exhaust manifolds that came off the front and opposite sides came off the rear. Might check for one of the ones that I believe where on the driver's side and exhausted off the front to give you enuff room to bend a pipe.

Added bonsus was generator mount on the exhaust.

good question and there is a number of answers but you will either involve a hacksaw or a diffterent column...further at the time the instructions were written for the Fatman/Plydo install of the TRW rack...the actual mounts are designed for the D24 install and not the smaller framed Plymouth..though they will install..it is with a bit of modification to the modification. The strict adherrence to instruction is paramount to an useful and effective set up in order to have proper turn radius, no bind or rub of the tie rod ends and elimination of bumpsteer. This is the exact thing I mentioned that the smallest of modifications involve more than one first considers..

Marty/Tim, if you cut the column to use uni joints etc to couple up to a different steering setup then you run into a problem in using the original horn setup. The original horn ring/button is an earth switch, it maybe possible to reroute the horn wire from the horn relay instead of up thru the hollow steering shaft which can't be done if a uni joint is there by running the wire thru the firewall, dash and upthe coloumn to see if its possible to somehow connect it thru /under/inside the steering wheel to the T shaped earth plate.........I don't think its going to be easy or even possible, but would like to hear it its been done as I am going to eventually install an Oz version of the Cavalier rack and will want to keep the original steering wheel( a later P15 version instead of the original P11) and horn ring.........andyd

again..it is not without modifications/sacrafices..unless you were to come with a slip ring the use of the original horn ring is probably going to be ruled out..that is what I said earlier about upgrades and one problem when corrected will lead yet to another..there is a possible another way I have given some thought to but other projects are way ahead of any on the P15 bz cp at this time

Edited by Tim Adams

ah the memories..Ford 292 made this production standard...many later model tranverse V6's have similar cross over exhaust systems..it does appear the posted picture is a truck body or early car with straight axle..but truck seems more in line per the firewall appearance.

The furd 292 (and I believe 272) used a crossover pipe that went on the top side of the engine and connected to the opposite manifold on the front side.

y01-stock-engine-012.jpg