Special Tools

Norm's Coupe

I'm sold on the roto tools. Smaller than a router and more powerful than a Dremel. Besides it original use one job I recently found it excelled in is cutting plexglass. I was making some dividers and tried cutting the plastic with a jigsaw. Promptly cracked the sheet. Used a roto tool and it worked great. It is also good for cutting ceramics like tile. I have a Dremel also but this worked way better because the cutting bits are stronger and the roto tool has way more torque than a Dremel. I have been known to shear the drive coupling on my Dremel more than once. For some jobs you just need More Power! :)

I also tried cutting plexiglass too with a saber saw once. It was about 1/4" thick. Didn't have a problem with it cracking though. My problem was, as soon as it cut, it welded itself back together from the heat.:rolleyes::D My rotary tool is really not a Dremel. It's about that size but has adjustable speeds up to 5,000 RPM's on it. That said, if it's power you want, I also have an electric professional grade die grinder. That thing produces up to 25,000 RPM's. Really nice for grinding. However, I have yet to find a wire brush I can use with it. Every one of them that claims will take that speed still throws all the wire out of the brush in short order. Have to wear a face shield and safety glasses when I use that. Probably should use a hard hat too. One day it threw a wire out of a brush that stuck into my forehead.:D:D Now, that's power when you want it.:)

Norm,

Lynn and I watch the food channel sometimes, and on one of the shows the host admonishes not to buy a tool that has only one use for the same reason you mentioned; it's just a gadget. I needed to buy a special tool to precisely set the torque on the flywheel nut on my '67 VW (236 lbs) and was able to justify it because it also does the same thing for the axle nuts and I view both as critical. If I can figure a way to use it on the axle nuts for my P-15 I'll be sitting in tall cotton, but I could have simply gotten a long piece of pipe and done the same thing, I suppose.

I like strange tools but who wants to figure where to store them? I think it's much more creative to work around needing to buy a one hit wonder.

-Randy

Hey Randy! Im about to tear apart a little vw engine, it is leaking badly from the flywheel area where the motor meets the transmission. Its motor oil from the motor and not gear oil from the transmission. any good pointers besides the fact that we do need a big giant breaker bar to pop the flywheel off and the little tool to hold the flywheel while we rock the whole engine??????

Mackster, if it's coming from the left of center, look for leaky o-rings at the oil cooler up above the left cylinders.

What year is the bug? My son and I are spiffing up a 72 Super Beetle for his wife.

I've made up several special tools for the Plymouth, but a real hub puller is a must-have, and an Aamco brake tool second on my list. I got the hub puller, still looking for the Aamco, although a forum member has made a very generous offer to risk loaning his Aamco to me for the cost of shipping and insurance.

post-64-13585352457032_thumb.jpg

post-64-1358535245787_thumb.jpg

Mackster, if it's coming from the left of center, look for leaky o-rings at the oil cooler up above the left cylinders.

What year is the bug? My son and I are spiffing up a 72 Super Beetle for his wife.

I've made up several special tools for the Plymouth, but a real hub puller is a must-have, and an Aamco brake tool second on my list. I got the hub puller, still looking for the Aamco, although a forum member has made a very generous offer to risk loaning his Aamco to me for the cost of shipping and insurance.

its a 68 vw. i am making it look like a 64. I really didnt want to get it, special circumstances made me get it! :) so im having fun again playing with cars...

The first one is a sling psychometer. It accurately determines percent relative humidity.

The 3rd picture is a pic of my Miller C705 tool with some one else's lighter. Did it go on a "Master Technichians Service Conference" trip without letting me know? I just took a picture of it with my MTSC lighter! Thats odd a picture of my tool somewhere else in this country! Where was that picture taken? I did loan it out 5 or more years ago!!!! ???

Very strange! Hmmm...

Bob