Line In the Sand Poll

Norm's Coupe

What Are You Or Have You Done?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What Are You Or Have You Done?

• Did you/or are you planning a frame off full blown restoration?
    • Are you just making the car look good and building a safe driver?

The body and undercarriage and frame were not rusted so I decided to do a body on resto and also because of the money and time. Ther cost to do a frameoff did not warrent the return or lack of return of my money so made a safe and reliable driver with a godd presentation. I have had this car for 22 years.

If this had been a haynes bodied coupe then I would have done a frame off since there were only 365 made inthe Desoto line and a total of 1000 over all between dodge/Chry and Desoto.

Rich Hartung

39 Desoto

I have done both. A full body off frame restoration on the '38 Chrysler and a make it presentable driver on the '48 Dodge. I also have an original '53 Plymouth including paint. If I was to do another one, it would be the presentable driver type restoration.

I own a 1947 Desoto club coupe, My dad gave me that car when I was just a kid, literally no more than 5 years old, the car has been sitting in a shed now for 40 years, every time I look at it because of sentimental reasons I would love to spend a ton of money and restore it, But then I look on ebay and see one for $10,000 In my opinion in less you have some ultra rare model , leave the body where it belongs, Unfortunatley...or fortunatley for us, these cars are not Duesenburgs, it doesnt take long with the body sitting in pieces in the corner, and a half built chassis taking up the rest of your garage, for you to have spent way more money than you could have bought a really good one for, not to mention the wasted time, I have had a few old mopars, and still own a Model A ford as well, For my money, give me a driver any day..

Who was it who started this line in the sand stuff:rolleyes:

Must be somebody with a sand blaster...

I removed the body from the frame with the intention of having a perfect car when I got done. But with the quality of my workmanship it turned out to be a driver anyway. . .

I purchased a “Hobby” car, it had to run and be mechanically sound. I found a 50 Plymouth that was complete; I had to buy a canvas garage to store it and a small tool box. I am a disabled Vet and old (67) so I don’t want to get into anything too hard. My car has been a dream, I put new tires on it and rebuild the brakes, cleaned up the engine compartment, rebuilt the carburetor, replaced, with my daughters help, the headliner, seats, side panels. I took it to a shop to have it lubricated and shocks replaced. Each time I take for a spin I go a little farther, I went to a couple car shows only to be told I should make it a hot rod rather than keeping it original. It needs a paint job, and a lot small problems that I plan on attacking when I feel like it. It runs fine and the Grand kids love it. post-1713-13585352367766_thumb.jpg

post-1713-13585352370213_thumb.jpg

post-1713-13585352370729_thumb.jpg

post-1713-1358535237097_thumb.jpg

I am actually in between the stated objectives. Yes, I took the body off frame of my 1940 Dodge. I needed to replace the body to frame bushings and the frame needed weld repair. However, I did not do a 'full blown' AACA style restoration. I would call it a 'resurrection' to get it safely on the road. There are always on-going improvements.

40_1980s_1.gif

P1010002.jpg

Phil

..Nice 2 door you have there.Great to have the kids take an interest.Old,(67)? -it's just a

number ;)