1948 Dodge

T120

So one has to have very deep pockets or they must be insane at that price. If you gave me 20K for my 39 Desoto it would be gone.

I do not know where these guys get their prices but when you look at the market how do they justify these prices and when the economy is bad also.

Rich

Desoto1939@aol.com

Could they have installed an uglier interior????

I doubt that is even close to original.

1948-dodge-16.jpg

I think that is a bad photo. When you look at the front seat picture you can see the carpet has the same effect. Unless the export interiors were different and they may have been, it is nothing like a North American Plymouth interior. Maybe they did the upholstery in NZ when the car was delivered.

This coupe was for sale on Kijiji Edmonton in Sept 09.The price was a little more realistic - they were asking $9995. Cdn.

post-423-13585352361522_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

As a rough guide to Oz prices, they are generally twice what a comparable car in the US would go for, with an added bonus on top if its a version not sold here, which as all we had were 4dr sedans opens the market up quite a bit, also one thing most if not all late 30's thru the early 50's Dodges and Plymouth interior's had were rear seat armrests and front door armrests.....20K is probably a little high for that car, a more realistic figure would be around $15-18K...........btw have attached a pic showing my Oz 1940 Dodge rear seat......Andy Douglas

post-1938-13585352362265_thumb.jpg

$110,000!!!?!?? Hoooooley cow, batman, that's a steal!.......... Anyone get the feeling this guy's hoping to meet his 'once in a lifetime' fool and part him from his money?

I see this is written in the notes:

"Between 1945 and 1949 a limited number of Plymouth De Soto and Dodge cars were built in Canada as right hand drive option for the export market. These cars were all built on Plymouth bodies. The Dodge Special Deluxe is the up market model."

Am I correct in thinking this statement is wrong? After all, I have a Canadian assembled '47 D-24 in original RHD to prove not all were built on Plymouth bodies. And, am looking at another....:o

I guess if he gets his price in NZ I'll have to think about shipping "Dorothy" back over there and making my own fortune...

I'm with AndyDodge, that car would be worth around $15K-$18K in the market here at the moment. I'd be surprised if ANYTHING with a Dodge badge ever sold for half what he's asking.

Respect to the interior, if you look at "Dorothy's" interior, she has leather seats (have been recovered but to match closely with original) and the door trims (before PO painted over them) were a 2-tone combination leather finish also. The 'other' D-24 I'm looking at also has the leather seats and trim. Must have been an export only trim code?

picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=308

Bill-Watson can you shed light?

Hi Andy,Your answer addressed my curiosity about prices in Australia and New Zealand.I thought it was priced rather high.Interesting also is the difference in interior trim to North America.Your upholstery looks much nicer than the one pictured.As Tim and Robert suggested,the photographer probably wasn't using the best film.

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Ralph, my upholstery is actually just a cheap vinyl, but what Rob said about the Leather in his car reminded me to mention to you guys that as far as I know all Plymouths and Dodges up to the late 40's, if not early 50's here in Australia had leather seat upholstery with a cloth on the door panels.....the original trim in my Oz 1940 Dodge certainly was leather and cloth......from what I understand the reason was that leather was relatively easy to obtain here in Oz back then against trying to find the more upmarket materials which would have had to have been imported.....as an aside ALL Chevs made & sold here in Australia had leather seat upholstery till at least the late 50's, these were 4dr sedans. Ralph re the prices, I paid $21,000 Australian for my 1941 Plymouth Coupe in Feb 2007, it was an older restoration, but had stock rims & caps with whitewalls not the chromies and cokers it now has.............andyd

post-1938-13585352380454_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585352380843_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585352381212_thumb.jpg

Rob re your car and the guys D24 reference, what I think he means is that his car was built in the overseas market as distinct from yours which was built to be exported, like my 1940 Dodge was built here in Oz and has no directly comparable US version but my 1941 Plymouth Coupe was built in Sth Africa and is an actual USA P11 version, albeit a RHD one..............andyd

$110,000!!!?!?? Hoooooley cow, batman, that's a steal!.......... Anyone get the feeling this guy's hoping to meet his 'once in a lifetime' fool and part him from his money?

I see this is written in the notes:

"Between 1945 and 1949 a limited number of Plymouth De Soto and Dodge cars were built in Canada as right hand drive option for the export market. These cars were all built on Plymouth bodies. The Dodge Special Deluxe is the up market model."

Am I correct in thinking this statement is wrong? After all, I have a Canadian assembled '47 D-24 in original RHD to prove not all were built on Plymouth bodies. And, am looking at another....:o

I guess if he gets his price in NZ I'll have to think about shipping "Dorothy" back over there and making my own fortune...

I'm with AndyDodge, that car would be worth around $15K-$18K in the market here at the moment. I'd be surprised if ANYTHING with a Dodge badge ever sold for half what he's asking.

Respect to the interior, if you look at "Dorothy's" interior, she has leather seats (have been recovered but to match closely with original) and the door trims (before PO painted over them) were a 2-tone combination leather finish also. The 'other' D-24 I'm looking at also has the leather seats and trim. Must have been an export only trim code?

Bill-Watson can you shed light?

Yes, Chrysler of Canada did build complete RHD models for export. Depending upon year, they built Plymouths, Dodge Kingsways, DeSoto Diplomats, plus the big Dodges, DeSotos and Chryslers. From 1960 through to 1966 RHD Valiants were also built. "The Motor" tested a Canadian-built 1963 RHD Valiant.

Leather was used mainly on export market cars, probably due to the fact leather lasted longer than cloth and could withstand heat and cold better. In North America leather was common on station wagons and convertibles.

Bill

Vancouver, BC